US: Macy's issues upbeat outlook for 2013
- Fourth quarter net income fell 2% to US$730m
- Sales grew 7.2% to $9.35bn
- Full-year net income grew 6.3% to $1.3bn
US department store operator Macy's saw fourth quarter net profit fall on the back of debt related expenses, but offered an upbeat outlook for continued sales growth in 2013.
The company today (26 February) said net income fell to US$730m over the quarter ended 2 February, down 2% on the same period of the prior year. During the three months, the company said it incurred US$133m in pre-tax expenses related to the early retirement of $700m of outstanding debt.
Sales grew 7.2% over the quarter to $9.35bn, rising 3.9% on a comparable basis.
Full-year net income increased 6.3% to $1.3bn, as sales grew 4.9% to $27.6bn, and were up 3.7% on a comparable basis.
"2012 was another great year in our company's evolving story of growth. The numbers reflect our success in pursuing the right strategies, and executing them with conviction in every part of the business with a talented team we consider to be the best in retailing," said chairman, president and CEO Terry Lundgren.
The company is forecasting 3.5% same-store sales growth for the 2013 fiscal year, with planned capital expenditures of around $925m. Guidance for earnings per diluted share in fiscal 2013 is $3.90 to $3.95, up on the $3.24 share reported for 2012.
"The best news of all is that we continue to see significant upside opportunity ahead in those strategies that have worked so well since we reorganised the company in 2009.
"Going into 2013, our team is moving ahead with new plans and actions to sharpen our approach to localised merchandise assortments and marketing, which we continue to believe is Macy's sustainable competitive advantage.
"We are accelerating progress in omnichannel strategies at Macy's and Bloomingdale's to bring together our efforts in stores, online and mobile in a manner that satisfies emerging shopping patterns and capitalises on the strength of our inventory regardless of where the customer demand occurs.
"And we are engaging shoppers in a manner that engenders loyalty and builds our business with each individual customer," added Lundgren.
The group of leading retailers and brands who make up the North American Alliance for Bangladesh Worker Safety has named Ellen O'Kane Tauscher as the independent chair of its board of directors....
Macys Inc, formerly known as Federated Department Stores, continues to be the leading department store operator, operating under the fascias Macy’s and Bloomingdale’s. Its “My Macy’s” initiative, a lo...
US department store retailer Macy's has cut its outlook for the full year and reported lower-than-expected second-quarter profits, after sales were hit by weaker consumer confidence....
Footwear retailers must match their strengths to the purchasing priorities of their target customers if they want to engage them in the shopping process, according to new research....
Hedge fund manager William Ackman has resigned from the board of JC Penney, as the ailing department store retailer reaffirmed its support for CEO Myron (Mike) Ullman and chairman Thomas Engibous....
Department store retailer Macy's is strengthening its activewear focus by teaming up with Lids Sports Group to open licensed team merchandise departments in Macy's stores under the name of Locker Room...
The Jones Group has revealed that it will launch a brand targeting millennial consumers at Macy's called Qmack. ...
Fashion Avenue Sweater Knits, a leading importer of children's and women's apparel, has gone live on NGC's fashion PLM and Supply Chain Management (SCM) solution....
- Improved supplier capabilities benefit Next
- THE FLANARANT: Understand win-win or lose out
- China and Vietnam lead US apparel imports in July
- Retailers voice concerns on Scottish independence
- Next H1: What the analysts say
- H&M goes green with Conscious Denim
- TPP talks "make progress" but issues remain
- Under Armour "resonating strongly" with consumers
- Adidas defends position despite investor unrest
- Brandix selects first "game-changing" innovations
- Apparel Market in China to 2018 - Market Size, Trends, and Forecasts
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Cut and Sew Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details