US: Macy's makes moves on the millennial generation
US department store retailer Macy's is launching 13 new apparel and footwear brands and expanding a further 11 existing ones, as part of a drive to boost its business with customers between the ages of 13 and 30.
The first phase of its so-called Millennial initiative will be rolled out this autumn and next spring, and will include an exclusive Marilyn Monroe fashion collection, a men's T-shirt line from Fatal Clothing, Keds apparel, and a partnership with MADE Fashion Week.
The brands will feature in the retailer's mstylelab and Impulse departments, which target shoppers aged 13-22 and 19-30 respectively. Prices will range from US$23 to $225.
Macy's earlier this year announced an internal restructure to focus on merchandise for the millennial generation - the US's largest and most diverse age demographic with spending estimated at $65bn each year. Consumers in this group are keenly interested in trends, style and value, the retailer says.
"We have identified millennials as a priority customer for Macy's, and we know that growing our relevance for this customer will start with product," said Jeffrey Gennette, Macy's chief merchandising officer.
"This product investment and repositioning is the first phase of our millennial strategy and will help strengthen Macy's credentials and credibility with this customer by offering them newness, fashion and innovation across product categories and lifestyles."
Other new lines planned include a new Truth or Dare shoe collection created by Madonna, Blossom & Clover clothing, G-Star Raw, Ambiguous, Ezekiel Clothing, Comune, DTA, Plan B and Argyleculture.
The department store retailer will also expand its Rachel Rachel Roy, Else, Kensie, DV by Dolce Vita, Material Girl, and American Rag brands to more stores. Items will be available priced from $6-$200.
"Macy's recognised there was a significant area of opportunity within the millennial generation," added Molly Langenstein, Macy's executive vice president and group merchandise manager for millennial.
"In an effort to fill that white space, we used the results of extensive research to better understand the preferences of these customers, go out into the market and plan our assortments."
Last month, the retailer unveiled its limited-edition 'Nicole Richie for Impulse' clothing collection, which includes 1960s and 1970s inspired maxi dresses, studded jackets with faux leather, and printed dresses.
2013 got off to a strong start for US clothing and footwear retailers in January, with many reporting their best performance since September 2011....
US women's wear chain Cache has appointed Daphne Pappas as executive vice president, chief merchandise officer. ...
US sportswear retailer Finish Line has posted a 20% decline in fourth-quarter net profit because of a drop in sales and weaknesses at its running business. ...
US department store retailer Macy's is to expand its online distribution centre in Goodyear, Arizona, to help manage continued sales growth as part of its omni-channel strategy....
Men's Wearhouse has today (6 March) appointed Jon Kimmins as executive vice president, chief financial officer and treasurer. ...
US department store operator Macy's saw fourth quarter net profit fall on the back of debt related expenses, but offered an upbeat outlook for continued sales growth in 2013....
US value apparel retailer Body Central has announced a series of executive appointments across its merchandising and e-commerce departments....
- TPP tariff phase-out guides Vietnam sourcing plans
- How Central America garment sourcing measures up
- How virtual garments could shape fashion retail
- Why fast fashion isn't a case of one size fits all
- Alliance brands "staying the course" in Bangladesh
- Ethiopia opens flagship textile and apparel park
- VF confident on "solid" sustainability roadmap
- Bangladesh denied US GSP re-entry on worker rights
- Inditex and Lenzing sign textile waste pact
- Supply chain focus for Puma sustainability targets
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- World Textile and Apparel Trade and Production Trends: the EU - June 2016
- Luxury Goods Retailing in Europe, 2014-2019 ; Market & Category Expenditure and Forecasts, Trends, and Competitive Landscape
- Primark Stores Limited: Retailing - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis