US: Macy's Q4 earnings climb
- Q4 earnings up 11%
- Sales slide 1.6%
- Comparable sales up 1.4%
Macy’s said it had a strong year in 2013
US department store retailer Macy's recorded an increase in earnings in the fourth quarter but results missed analyst expectations as harsh winter weather hit January sales.
In the three months ended 1 February, earnings climbed 11% to US$811m from $730m a year earlier.
Sales slid 1.6% to $9.2bn versus $9.35bn last year. On a comparable basis, sales were up 1.4%.
Wall Street analysts, however, were expecting $2.17 per share on revenue of $9.28bn, according to FactSet.
Nonetheless, CEO Terry Lundgren was upbeat: "Macy's had a strong year in 2013. This was our fifth consecutive year of double-digit growth in earnings per share and our fourth consecutive year of comparable sales growth.
"Once warm spring weather arrives and our full assortment of fresh spring merchandise is in place, we believe customers will return to a more normalized pattern of shopping. But based on our experience in January and early February, we are watching business trends closely."
Macy's reiterated its full-year guidance of comparable sales in the range of 2.5%-3%, and earnings of $4.40 to $4.50 per share.
"Macy's, Inc. : Retail - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Report" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The profile contains a company overview, key facts, majo...
The deal by Men's Wearhouse to acquire US men's apparel and footwear business Jos A Bank Clothiers has been given the green light by The Federal Trade Commission (FTC)....
With a large population and high income per head, demand for apparel in the USA is huge -- amounting to nearly US$300 bn during 2012. This has facilitated sustained growth of a number of giant retaile...
The first round of inspection reports released by the Alliance for Bangladesh Worker Safety show that "dozens of deficiencies" have been identified in every garment factory. And the group now has just...
This report provides information, analysis and valuable insight on developments relating to the performance apparel industry in the following categories: acquisitions, divestments and mergers; company...
Macys Inc, formerly known as Federated Department Stores, continues to be the leading department store operator, operating under the fascias Macy’s and Bloomingdale’s. Its “My Macy’s” initiative, a lo...
- MYANMAR SNAPSHOT: Textile and apparel industry
- Alliance members buy more products from Bangladesh
- ANALYSIS: New pricing strategy pays off for Nike
- Clothing seen as central focus for new Tesco CEO
- Indian apparel exporters discuss policy changes
- Crystal Group improves worker communication
- Columbia Sportswear fined for mislabelled clothing
- TIMELINE: Charney ousting from American Apparel
- “Made in USA” company rapped for deceptive claims
- VF Corp books "solid" Q2 performance
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Management briefing: Sourcing shifts: Changes and challenges
- Plunkett's Apparel & Textiles Industry Almanac 2014: Apparel & Textiles Industry Market Research, Statistics, Trends & Leading Companies
- American Eagle Outfitters, Inc. : Reacting to a need for change