US: Macy's Q4 earnings climb
- Q4 earnings up 11%
- Sales slide 1.6%
- Comparable sales up 1.4%
Macy’s said it had a strong year in 2013
US department store retailer Macy's recorded an increase in earnings in the fourth quarter but results missed analyst expectations as harsh winter weather hit January sales.
In the three months ended 1 February, earnings climbed 11% to US$811m from $730m a year earlier.
Sales slid 1.6% to $9.2bn versus $9.35bn last year. On a comparable basis, sales were up 1.4%.
Wall Street analysts, however, were expecting $2.17 per share on revenue of $9.28bn, according to FactSet.
Nonetheless, CEO Terry Lundgren was upbeat: "Macy's had a strong year in 2013. This was our fifth consecutive year of double-digit growth in earnings per share and our fourth consecutive year of comparable sales growth.
"Once warm spring weather arrives and our full assortment of fresh spring merchandise is in place, we believe customers will return to a more normalized pattern of shopping. But based on our experience in January and early February, we are watching business trends closely."
Macy's reiterated its full-year guidance of comparable sales in the range of 2.5%-3%, and earnings of $4.40 to $4.50 per share.
With a large population and high income per head, demand for apparel in the USA is huge -- amounting to nearly US$300 bn during 2012. This has facilitated sustained growth of a number of giant retaile...
This report provides information, analysis and valuable insight on developments relating to the performance apparel industry in the following categories: acquisitions, divestments and mergers; company...
Macys Inc, formerly known as Federated Department Stores, continues to be the leading department store operator, operating under the fascias Macy’s and Bloomingdale’s. Its “My Macy’s” initiative, a lo...
Inspection, testing and certification company SCS Global Services (SCS) has joined the Sustainable Apparel Coalition (SAC), and will promote its Higg Index sustainability measurement tool to help driv...
Abstract About Children’s and Infant Wear Children's wear refers to clothing for children aged between 0 months to 10 years. It includes apparel such as outerwear, underwear, nightwear, socks and t...
- Speed to market key to Adidas 2020 growth plan
- SuperGroup to adapt sourcing model for speed
- GAFTI gears up for change in apparel auditing
- SOURCING: Production problems weigh on Pakistan
- Fast Retailing ramps up sustainability efforts
- Transparency call for German apparel firms
- Lululemon Athletica on “strong growth” track
- Strike at Adidas and Nike shoe factory in Vietnam
- H&M and Kering trial recycling technology
- Myanmar garments to benefit from export strategy
- Myanmar's Garment Sector - Opportunities & Challenges in 2015
- Management briefing: Outlook 2015: Apparel industry issues in the year ahead
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields
- Apparel Retail: Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide
- Global market review of swimwear - forecasts to 2019