US: Macy's Q4 earnings climb
- Q4 earnings up 11%
- Sales slide 1.6%
- Comparable sales up 1.4%
Macy’s said it had a strong year in 2013
US department store retailer Macy's recorded an increase in earnings in the fourth quarter but results missed analyst expectations as harsh winter weather hit January sales.
In the three months ended 1 February, earnings climbed 11% to US$811m from $730m a year earlier.
Sales slid 1.6% to $9.2bn versus $9.35bn last year. On a comparable basis, sales were up 1.4%.
Wall Street analysts, however, were expecting $2.17 per share on revenue of $9.28bn, according to FactSet.
Nonetheless, CEO Terry Lundgren was upbeat: "Macy's had a strong year in 2013. This was our fifth consecutive year of double-digit growth in earnings per share and our fourth consecutive year of comparable sales growth.
"Once warm spring weather arrives and our full assortment of fresh spring merchandise is in place, we believe customers will return to a more normalized pattern of shopping. But based on our experience in January and early February, we are watching business trends closely."
Macy's reiterated its full-year guidance of comparable sales in the range of 2.5%-3%, and earnings of $4.40 to $4.50 per share.
With a large population and high income per head, demand for apparel in the USA is huge -- amounting to nearly US$300 bn during 2012. This has facilitated sustained growth of a number of giant retaile...
Sunrise Brands has selected Centric Software's product lifecycle management (PLM) software solution to support the growth of its private-label business....
This report provides information, analysis and valuable insight on developments relating to the performance apparel industry in the following categories: acquisitions, divestments and mergers; company...
Despite booking a 3.3% rise in second-quarter sales, department store retailer Macy's Inc today (13 August) lowered its full-year sales outlook, saying it was unable to make up the shortfall incurred ...
Macys Inc, formerly known as Federated Department Stores, continues to be the leading department store operator, operating under the fascias Macy’s and Bloomingdale’s. Its “My Macy’s” initiative, a lo...
Abstract About Children’s and Infant Wear Children's wear refers to clothing for children aged between 0 months to 10 years. It includes apparel such as outerwear, underwear, nightwear, socks and t...
- Improved supplier capabilities benefit Next
- THE FLANARANT: Understand win-win or lose out
- China and Vietnam lead US apparel imports in July
- Next H1: What the analysts say
- Retailers voice concerns on Scottish independence
- H&M goes green with Conscious Denim
- TPP talks "make progress" but issues remain
- Brandix selects first "game-changing" innovations
- Adidas defends position despite investor unrest
- Ultrasonic execs disappear along with company cash
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre
- Apparel Market in China to 2018 - Market Size, Trends, and Forecasts
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Cut and Sew Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details