US: Macy's second-quarter net income surges 16%
US department store operator Macy's has lifted its full-year earnings forecast after its second-quarter net income surged on the back of strong revenue growth.
The company recorded a 15.76% rise in profit to reach US$279m over the three months ended 28 July. Sales increased 3% over the same period last year to reach $6.1bn. Same-store sales also increased 3%.
"We were pleased with our spring season results, and they came on top of exceptionally strong spring season performances in each of the past two years," said chairman, president and CEO Terry Lundgren.
"This indicates that our business continues to have forward momentum, even with challenges that include a soft economy, lower spending by international tourists, and temporary disruptions associated with the major remodelling of our Herald Square flagship store in New York City which was initiated in March."
"In response to these challenges, we have stayed very firmly focused on driving profitable sales growth while running the business with discipline to maintain margins and manage expenses."
Over the half-year, net income grew 23.6% to $460m as sales rose 3.7% to $12.3bn. Same-store sales also increased 3.7%.
On the back of the strong results, the company has increased its full-year forecast, expecting earnings to reach $3.30-3.35 a share, up on prior guidance of $3.25-3.30.
"We are entering the fall season with optimism about our ability to grow sales and capture market share, especially in the holiday season when shoppers naturally turn first to Macy's and Bloomingdale's," added Lundgren.
"The direction of the overall economy is outside of our control, so we will concentrate on what our company does best. We look forward to maintaining our holiday traditions, such as the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, to help our country, our customers and our employees celebrate with family and friends.
"We feel good about our very strong brand-driven merchandise assortment for gift-giving and self-purchase this fall, as well as the creative and compelling marketing programs that will drive consumer interest and traffic in stores and online.
"Meanwhile, we will continue to maintain our expense discipline, especially in those areas that are not readily apparent to the customer."
He also said the company will take a scheduled break in the multi-year Herald Square store remodelling project to ensure shopping is not interrupted during the holiday season.
Retailers posted mixed December sales results as many were forced to discount heavily to drive sales in the weekend prior to Christmas, in the hope of making up for weaker sales earlier in the month....
The following is a general roundup of US apparel and shoe retailers' December 2012 sales results....
Instead of our regular look at the most read stories on just-style during the week, we thought a fitting end to the year would be to take a look at the top stories on just-style in 2012. From Nike's F...
Strong Black Friday week sales were no match for the disruption caused by Hurricane Sandy, as US retailers hope to make up lost sales in December....
Macy's chief administrative officer Thomas Cole - a 41-year veteran of the company - is retiring, prompting a series of changes to the retailer's executive team....
Saks boss Stephen Sadove has been elected as the new chairman of the National Retail Federation's (NRF) board of directors and executive committee....
- SOURCING: Worldwide change in cost competitiveness
- Li & Fung looks to new frontiers for growth
- More licensing and less M&A for Global Brands
- Fitness fashion propels Athleta towards $1bn sales
- Water scarcity a challenge to cotton supply chains
- Cambodia garment makers condemn strike protests
- Adidas to use only Bluesign-approved chemicals
- Bangladesh workers in constructive employer talks
- Scientists hail first recycled cotton garment
- Joint programme to promote compliance in Pakistan
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Knitting Mills - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Prospects for the Textile and Clothing Industry in Turkey
- China - ISA Country Report