US: “Made in USA” company rapped for deceptive claims
A company which sells a “Made in USA” certification seal has agreed to stop deceptive claims after being targeted by Federal Trade Commission (FTC) charges.
The FTC said Made in USA Brand LLC had deceived consumers by allowing companies to use the seal without independently verifying that products had been made in the US, or disclosing that the companies had certified themselves.
According to the FTC’s Enforcement Policy Statement on US Origin Claims, products labelled as “Made in the USA” must be “all or virtually all” made in the US.
Made in the USA Brand charges companies US$250-2,000 a year to use the mark and to be listed in a database of “certified” companies.
However, the FTC found the company did not independently evaluate products before certifying them, had no procedures to determine compliance – and had never rejected any application of terminated a company’s use of the mark.
“Seals can be very helpful when consumers purchase products based on claims that are difficult to verify – like the Made-in-the-USA claim,” said Jessica Rich, director of the FTC’s Bureau of Consumer Protection.
“When marketers provide seals without any verification, or without telling consumers the seal is unverified, consumers are deceived and the value of all marketers’ seals is diminished.
“This case makes it clear that the FTC will not let that happen.”
- Improved supplier capabilities benefit Next
- THE FLANARANT: Understand win-win or lose out
- China and Vietnam lead US apparel imports in July
- Next H1: What the analysts say
- Retailers voice concerns on Scottish independence
- H&M goes green with Conscious Denim
- Brandix selects first "game-changing" innovations
- TPP talks "make progress" but issues remain
- Adidas defends position despite investor unrest
- US cotton production set to decline
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre
- Apparel Market in China to 2018 - Market Size, Trends, and Forecasts
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Cut and Sew Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details