US: Maidenform cuts FY guidance despite Q3 profit rise
- Q3 profit up 5.4% to $10.8m
- Gross margin improves to 32.4%
- Sales climbed 1.3% to $150.2m
Intimate apparel maker Maidenform Brands has lowered its full-year guidance in the face of "global economic challenges and increased competition for the rest of the year."
The company, whose brands include Lilyette, Charmed and Flexees, said net income rose 5.4% to US$10.8m during the three months ended 29 September, compared to $10.2m the prior year. Gross margins improved to 32.4% against 32% last year, mainly due to a more favourable product mix, the company said.
Net sales climbed 1.3% to $150.2m. Wholesale sales edged up 1% to $131.5m, while retail sales rose 3.9% to $18.7m.
"Our third quarter results met our EPS expectations as favourable expenses and higher gross profit more than offset lower than planned revenues," said CEO Maurice Reznik.
However, he added: "Looking forward, we anticipate global economic challenges and increased competition; we are addressing these concerns with a continued focus on product innovation, such as Comfort Devotion, amplified emphasis on leveraging the equity of the Maidenform brand and operational improvements."
Maidenform Brands now expects full-year earnings per share to be in the range of $1.39 to $1.44, compared to its previous guidance of $1.5 to $1.6 per share.
Intimate apparel manufacturer Maidenform Brands said it expects to post a first-quarter loss and will be looking to cut some of its underperforming businesses after a "disappointing" year....
- Improved supplier capabilities benefit Next
- China and Vietnam lead US apparel imports in July
- THE FLANARANT: Understand win-win or lose out
- Next H1: What the analysts say
- Abercrombie & Fitch to lose logos in fashion focus
- Brandix selects first "game-changing" innovations
- Hanesbrands axes Costa Rican jobs in Vietnam move
- Bagir to invest in Ethiopia as H1 loss deepens
- TPP talks "make progress" but issues remain
- US cotton production set to decline
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre
- Apparel Market in China to 2018 - Market Size, Trends, and Forecasts
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Cut and Sew Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details