US: Maidenform shares slump on "disappointing" Q3
- Q2 net income dropped 20.5% to US$10.2m
- Sales increased 1.6% to $148.2m
- Same-store sales were up 2.4%
Intimate apparel maker Maidenform Brands Inc lost almost a quarter of its share value today (9 November) as it recorded a sharp decline in third-quarter earnings and cut its full-year forecasts.
Net income dropped 20.5% to US$10.2m for the three months to 1 October, despite sales increasing 1.6% over the period to $148.2m.
CEO Maurice Reznik said he was "disappointed" with the results, attributing the declines to a fall in consumer traffic, which "suppressed sales and drove higher costs to promote and liquidate overstocks."
The firm warned these conditions are likely to persist in the fourth-quarter and is taking steps to mitigate them.
It also lowered its full-year forecast down to 8% sales growth from earlier expectations of 10-12%. And EPS guidance was cut to a range of $1.73 -1.77 per share, against an initial forecast of $2.18.
Retail sales were up 4.7% over the quarter to $18m, with same-store sales up 2.4% Meanwhile, department store sales were down 0.8% to $59.9% while mass merchant sales fell 15.1% to $45.1m.
The company's share price was down 24.71% to $18.16 a share at 12:02 ET today.
Maidenform has swung to a fourth-quarter loss as margins were hit by product discontinuations and other costs....
South Africa's largest apparel and textile maker, Seardel Investment Corporation Limited, may cut as many as 1,500 jobs at its operations in Western Cape and KwaZulu-Natal as part of efforts to narrow...
- Li & Fung looks to new frontiers for growth
- Gap impressed with supply chain improvements
- Cambodia's future outsourcing prospects uncertain
- Impact of the TPP on the US textile industry?
- Better Work programme poised to expand
- China minimum wage rises will be tough to handle
- Cambodia garment industry hit with fresh strikes
- Cambodia mass faintings rise to 896 in first-half
- Ralph Lauren unveils high-performance Polo shirt
- Russia threatens ban on western apparel imports
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Prospects for the Textile and Clothing Industry in Turkey
- Opportunities and Applications for Digital Textile Printing
- Colombia - ISA Country Report