MALAYSIA: Makers seek low-pay period for foreign workers
As a minimum wage law goes into effect this month in Malaysia, the Malaysian Textile Manufacturers Association (MTMA) is asking the government to allow its members to reintroduce a lower-paid probationary period for foreign workers.
Companies in the textile and apparel industry commonly place new employees under a 3-6 month probationary period during which they receive a salary 30% lower than their full wage, according to MTMA chief executive officer Andrew Hong.
However, a separate government decree last year banned probationary periods for foreign workers on temporary visas. Now this has combined with an increase in minimum wage to MYR900 (US$270) this month for workers on the Malaysian peninsula.
Hong said the industry is being unfairly squeezed as a result. "Since they don't allow the foreign workers to have a probationary period, we're incurring higher costs on workers we're not sure are suitable for the job or are still on the learning curve," he said.
Hong added that local Malaysian workers still have to undertake a lower paid probationary period, creating an unequal environment. "It's not right," he said. "We have to create a level playing field for all the workers."
The human resources ministry has announced it plans to reassess the minimum wage law in June or July. It has not responded to MTMA's request for reviving the probationary period for foreign workers, according to Hong.
- Yuan devaluation impact mixed for garment firms
- Will Vietnam struggle with impending trade deals?
- The new age of disruption on apparel production
- China devaluation: what’s the big deal?
- Gap bullish on China growth opportunities
- US Q2 in brief: J Crew, Aeropostale, Bebe Stores
- Luen Thai to continue investment in Vietnam
- China market woes could hit consumer spending
- Adidas seeking to resolve shoe supplier dispute
- Adidas files trademark suit against Forever 21
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Global market review of lingerie - forecasts to 2020
- Global market review of swimwear - forecasts to 2019