USA: Marisa Christina Posts Q3 Profit Jump, Sales Down
The New York-based company said net sales for the quarter fell 16.5 per cent to $10.5m from $12.6m in 2001 due to the discontinuation of an unprofitable label and a general downturn in the economy.
For the nine month period, net earnings rose 32.7 per cent to $800,000 from $600,000 in the first nine months of 2001.
Chairman Michael Lerner said: "The third quarter results were in line with our projections, in spite of lower sales volume. We continue to show improved margins and our lower operating expenses continue to keep us on track.
"Although the fourth quarter will be negatively impacted by the West Coast dock lockout and an extremely difficult retail environment, we are still hopeful that we can achieve the lower end of our earnings expectations.
"Our expectations have been that diluted earnings per share will be between $0.20 and $0.35 for the year 2002."
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
The UK middle market in clothing could soon cease to exist according to new research. The traditional mass market is being squeezed by value-led retailers on the one hand and smaller fashion multiples...
Guatemala's proximity to the United States is being hailed as a key to the survival of the region's apparel industry. But its ability to deliver on the speed-to-market promise depends on more than loc...
Nonwovens producer Polymer Group Inc is increasing the price of nonwoven roll goods in North America by up to 12 per cent, blaming rapid increases in raw material and energy costs....
Innovo Group Inc has hired Elena Pickett as its vice president of sales. In this new position for the company, Ms Pickett will primarily oversee and direct sales for the branded apparel lines, which i...
Sri Lankan clothing maker Jinadasa Garments has set up its third production unit in Africa. The new plant, which operates under the name of California Link (Ghana) Ltd, expands the company's two exist...
Market trend and merchandising strategy source The Doneger Group has appointed Janine Blain to head up its new West Coast operations....
Italian customs police have uncovered €1.8 million worth of fake-branded trainers imported from China. ...
Fashion apparel and accessories company Liz Claiborne Inc has made a number of senior leadership appointments and organisational changes in line with its growth strategies....
- What TTIP might mean for US, EU textiles & apparel
- Unlocks for the future fashion sourcing landscape
- EU eyes mandatory due diligence for apparel supply
- Four steps to reduce product defects
- Geo-political uncertainty and how to survive it
- US Q4 in brief – Finish Line, Oxford Industries
- H&M, VF Corp and Levi among most ethical companies
- Sears has "substantial doubt" of future
- Vietnam limits hazardous chemicals in apparel
- Walmart snaps up online fashion firm ModCloth
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective