UK: Marks And Spencer Breaks The Brand Mould
Battling Marks & Spencer is breaking new ground with a range of products sold under a brand name other than M&S or St Michael. The store is hoping heads will turn when it launches a designer range of hair care products, under the "MM Martyn Maxey" label. M&S has linked up with internationally-acclaimed hairdresser, Martyn Maxey, whose clients include Minnie Driver, Anneka Rice and Anna Ford, to launch the new range which goes on sale on Monday. A spokesman for M&S said: "We were looking to develop a new haircare range and a link was made with Martyn Maxey who is internationally-acclaimed." The move is a radical departure for the company, which has often used designers in the past, but has never put their names to the products. Other stores such as Debenhams are also using designer's names to boost sales. The store has several exclusive ranges including the new Rocha John Rocha clothing collection, but interestingly, has launched its own range of cosmetics called "MEA" and has just announced it plans to launch more own-range health and beauty products. The "MM Martyn Maxey" range at M&S will include cleansing, conditioning and styling products, together with a range of salon hair brushes and hair dryer. Martyn Maxey, once voted in the Top Five Stylists in the World by US Vogue, has exclusive salons in Mayfair in London, the Harbour Club and the Riverside club. He has also won a variety of awards, including Student Hairdresser of the Year and The Golden Scissors for Services to Hairdressing Industry in 1999.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
- Steps to piloting living wage in garment factories
- US apparel retailers' November 2016 sales roundup
- Planning is key to an effective inventory strategy
- Traditional financing is a misfit for fast fashion
- Why do modern robotics elude sportswear makers?
- Esquel efficiency drive continues to boost brands
- US Q3 in brief – Genesco, G-III Apparel, Express
- Columbia waterproof jacket first made without PFCs
- North Face parka features synthetic spider silk
- Myanmar garment industry "lacking labour rights"
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Footwear Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide_2016
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack