UK: Marks & Spencer tight-lipped on Australian entry
M&S declined to comment on reports it is looking to open its first stores in Australia
UK retailer Marks & Spencer has remained tight-lipped on reports it is looking to enter Australia with the opening of its first stores this year.
According to a report in The Sydney Morning Herald, the company has appointed two new directors of a previously dormant firm Marks & Spencer (Australia).
However, when contacted by just-style today (29 January), a spokesperson for M&S said: "We would never comment on rumour and speculation."
M&S operates over 770 stores in the UK, and more than 430 international stores across Europe, the Middle East and Asia.
If M&S is gearing up to enter the Australian market, it will face competition from Swedish fashion clothing retailer Hennes & Maurtiz (H&M), which last year revealed plans to open its first store in the country.
Earlier this month, M&S reported another decline in general merchandise sales, despite seeing early signs of improvement in its women's wear business.
Analysts have raised a question mark over how successful M&S's general merchandise strategy is, noting the pace of change for clothing needs to go "further and faster".
This report analyzes the worldwide markets for Women's and Girls' Clothing in US$ Million by the following Product Segments: Women's and Girls' Dresses, Women's and Girls' Suits & Coats, Women's and G...
More than 170 companies have now signed the Accord on Fire and Building Safety in Bangladesh following the collapse of the Rana Plaza factory building in Dhaka, which killed more than 1,100 people las...
H & M Hennes & Mauritz AB - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and servic...
Introduction Global Womenswear industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The profile also conta...
Fast Retailing aspires to become the world’s largest clothing company by 2020. International expansion will be key to achieving this goal. While the company has successfully expanded in Asia, gaining ...
- MYANMAR SNAPSHOT: Textile and apparel industry
- Alliance members buy more products from Bangladesh
- ANALYSIS: New pricing strategy pays off for Nike
- Clothing seen as central focus for new Tesco CEO
- Indian apparel exporters discuss policy changes
- Crystal Group improves worker communication
- Columbia Sportswear fined for mislabelled clothing
- “Made in USA” company rapped for deceptive claims
- VF Corp books "solid" Q2 performance
- TIMELINE: Charney ousting from American Apparel
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Management briefing: Sourcing shifts: Changes and challenges
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Plunkett's Apparel & Textiles Industry Almanac 2014: Apparel & Textiles Industry Market Research, Statistics, Trends & Leading Companies
- American Eagle Outfitters, Inc. : Reacting to a need for change