UK: Marks & Spencer tight-lipped on Australian entry
M&S declined to comment on reports it is looking to open its first stores in Australia
UK retailer Marks & Spencer has remained tight-lipped on reports it is looking to enter Australia with the opening of its first stores this year.
According to a report in The Sydney Morning Herald, the company has appointed two new directors of a previously dormant firm Marks & Spencer (Australia).
However, when contacted by just-style today (29 January), a spokesperson for M&S said: "We would never comment on rumour and speculation."
M&S operates over 770 stores in the UK, and more than 430 international stores across Europe, the Middle East and Asia.
If M&S is gearing up to enter the Australian market, it will face competition from Swedish fashion clothing retailer Hennes & Maurtiz (H&M), which last year revealed plans to open its first store in the country.
Earlier this month, M&S reported another decline in general merchandise sales, despite seeing early signs of improvement in its women's wear business.
Analysts have raised a question mark over how successful M&S's general merchandise strategy is, noting the pace of change for clothing needs to go "further and faster".
Fast Retailing Co Ltd aims to strengthen its position overseas to become the world’s number one apparel manufacturer and retailer. The company announced that it has a target to achieve annual group sa...
Fast Retailing aspires to become the world’s largest clothing company by 2020. International expansion will be key to achieving this goal. While the company has successfully expanded in Asia, gaining ...
Cone Denim has agreed a new R&D collaboration with DSM Dyneema, which it says opens up tremendous opportunities for its expanding line of performance denims....
Fast Retailing aims to become the world’s largest apparel company by 2020. The company has been very successful in Greater China, but continues to struggle in other markets and its US super premium de...
Down supplier and processor Allied Feather & Down has unveiled a new consumer tracing resource called Track My Down....
Apparel & Non-Apparel Manufacturing in France industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The prof...
- Yuan devaluation impact mixed for garment firms
- Will Vietnam struggle with impending trade deals?
- The new age of disruption on apparel production
- China devaluation: what’s the big deal?
- Gap bullish on China growth opportunities
- US Q2 in brief: J Crew, Aeropostale, Bebe Stores
- Luen Thai to continue investment in Vietnam
- Gap restructuring weighs on Q2 as profit falls 34%
- Ralph Lauren debuts biometic smart shirt
- China market woes could hit consumer spending
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Global market review of lingerie - forecasts to 2020
- Global market review of swimwear - forecasts to 2019