UK: Marks & Spencer tight-lipped on Australian entry
M&S declined to comment on reports it is looking to open its first stores in Australia
UK retailer Marks & Spencer has remained tight-lipped on reports it is looking to enter Australia with the opening of its first stores this year.
According to a report in The Sydney Morning Herald, the company has appointed two new directors of a previously dormant firm Marks & Spencer (Australia).
However, when contacted by just-style today (29 January), a spokesperson for M&S said: "We would never comment on rumour and speculation."
M&S operates over 770 stores in the UK, and more than 430 international stores across Europe, the Middle East and Asia.
If M&S is gearing up to enter the Australian market, it will face competition from Swedish fashion clothing retailer Hennes & Maurtiz (H&M), which last year revealed plans to open its first store in the country.
Earlier this month, M&S reported another decline in general merchandise sales, despite seeing early signs of improvement in its women's wear business.
Analysts have raised a question mark over how successful M&S's general merchandise strategy is, noting the pace of change for clothing needs to go "further and faster".
Fast Retailing Co Ltd aims to strengthen its position overseas to become the world’s number one apparel manufacturer and retailer. The company announced that it has a target to achieve annual group sa...
This report analyzes the worldwide markets for Women's and Girls' Clothing in US$ Million by the following Product Segments: Women's and Girls' Dresses, Women's and Girls' Suits & Coats, Women's and G...
Cone Denim has agreed a new R&D collaboration with DSM Dyneema, which it says opens up tremendous opportunities for its expanding line of performance denims....
H & M Hennes & Mauritz AB - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and servic...
Down supplier and processor Allied Feather & Down has unveiled a new consumer tracing resource called Track My Down....
Fast Retailing aspires to become the world’s largest clothing company by 2020. International expansion will be key to achieving this goal. While the company has successfully expanded in Asia, gaining ...
- SOURCING: Production problems weigh on Pakistan
- What next for smart fabrics and garments?
- Smart sportswear faces mass production challenges
- Frank Henke discusses Adidas sustainability agenda
- Innovation and supply chain remain key for Nike
- “Unsafe” Bangladesh factory refuses to evacuate
- Cambodia labour abuse claims disputed
- Major Ethiopia textile build experiences delays
- Garment factory tool to improve communication
- RFID adoption among retailers near “tipping point”
- Myanmar's Garment Sector - Opportunities & Challenges in 2015
- Apparel Retail: Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide
- Management briefing: Outlook 2015: Apparel industry issues in the year ahead
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields
- Global market review of swimwear - forecasts to 2019