UK: Masters Of Linen Previews New Look Collections
Linen like you've never seen it before - that's the 2001/2 winter message from Masters of Linen issued via their corporate display at the autumn 2000 Premiere Vision. Masters of Linen is the organisation that promotes the interests of the 10,000 growers, 22 specialised spinners and 96 weavers and knitters who jointly comprise the EU's linen industry worth 180 million euros a year. It is an industry that provides jobs for some 140,000 workers, mostly concentrated in the traditional production and processing areas of Belgium, The Netherlands, France, Italy, Austria, Germany and Northern Ireland. In a London preview of the collections they will be presenting in Paris - the first presentation for two years - Masters of Linen particularly stressed the value of the fibre to clothing manufacturers offering interseasonal ranges. But even more important was the emphasis on how far linen and linen blends have moved from the conventional concepts of what linen is and does over the last two years. Latest collections from members include furry fabrics in blends of linen and mohair by the De Vaudricourt division of Hauterive, and near translucent, sparkle dusted fabric in linen and polyamide from Spanish producer Tomas Prate e Hijo. Delicate see-through cloths, many further embellished with drawn thread work, were featured by Belgium's Libeco-Lagae. This company has been supplying the fashion trade with linen and linen blends since 1858. Among the Ulster contingent, John England is softening the characteristically dry handle of linen in comfortably cuddly blends with wool, mainly using classic men's wear patterns such as bright overchecks on muted colour grounds.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- China leads US apparel sources with falling prices
- Hard hit Turkish industry is not knocked out
- Vietnam grows share of US apparel imports in 2016
- US apparel sector braces for potential cost hikes
- "Power of the many" drives change at Otto Group
- US Q4 in brief – Chico's FAS, TJX Companies
- Bangladesh crackdown has cost garment sector $100m
- Adidas and Burberry recognised for sustainability
- VF Corp sees Q4 and FY earnings tumble
- Macy's will "do the right thing", says Lundgren
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Technical textile markets: product developments and innovations, December 2016
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar