UK: Matalan Lays Off 300 In Cost-Cutting Ploy
Value retailer Matalan is axing around 300 jobs in a push to save £15 million, the company has announced.
The company is letting 100 people go at its head office in Skelmersdale, Lancashire, and is also laying off 190 of its store workers.
One person is due to go at each of the company's stores, with redundancies and relocation now being implemented. The company stressed that the majority of the losses would be achieved by not replacing employees leaving the company or coming to the end of their contracts.
Matalan employs a total of 14,000 people presently. The company has warned that this year's profits may be at the bottom end of forecasts if poor high-street conditions carry on.
- Steps to piloting living wage in garment factories
- How to ensure sustainability is more than a slogan
- US apparel retailers' November 2016 sales roundup
- Why do modern robotics elude sportswear makers?
- Software for financial planning and operations
- Esquel efficiency drive continues to boost brands
- US Q3 in brief – Oxford Industries, Genesco
- Myanmar garment industry "lacking labour rights"
- Columbia waterproof jacket first made without PFCs
- Adidas NYC flagship raises the bar on sport stores