UK: Matalan Q3 earnings drop despite sales rise
- Q3 revenue up 3.7% to GBP321m
- EBITDA down 8.4% to GBP41.5m
- MD hails improved women’s wear offer
Online sales were up 22% during the three month period
Out-of-town fashion and homeware retailer Matalan recorded a drop in third quarter earnings, despite increasing revenues in the three months to 30 November.
The UK company, which left its full-year EBITDA forecast unchanged, added that revenues rose 3.1% in Christmas trading – the four weeks to 28 December – including growth in full-price sales.
Online sales were up 22% and Matalan surpassed its previous record sales figure in one day by 20%.
“The focus in recent months on our ladieswear offer, product availability and online growth delivered an improving trend through the period after a difficult start,” said Jason Hargreaves, Matalan managing director.
“We then carried this improvement through December.”
Hargreaves added that the company remained “cautiously optimistic” about the year ahead, despite the “challenging and competitive” market conditions.
More than 170 companies have now signed the Accord on Fire and Building Safety in Bangladesh following the collapse of the Rana Plaza factory building in Dhaka, which killed more than 1,100 people las...
This report provides information, analysis and valuable insight on developments relating to the performance apparel industry in the following categories: acquisitions, divestments and mergers; company...
Value fashion retailer Matalan is implementing Lectra's Modaris 3D product development solution to enhance the fit, style and quality of its garments....
- The current state of play in world garment exports
- Fung Capital helps PLM firm expand into Asia
- Africa courts clothing and textile investment
- ANALYSIS: New pricing strategy pays off for Nike
- Diversification a key focus for Under Armour
- Adidas investigating Cambodia faintings
- Footwear “facing increased compliance challenges"
- Matalan defends its position on Bangladesh
- Arrests made at US REI/North Face protests
- North Face commits to 100% recycled polyester
- Textile Wholesaling in the UK - Industry Market Research Report
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Survey of the European Fabric Fairs: Spring/Summer 2015
- Plunkett's Apparel & Textiles Industry Almanac 2014: Apparel & Textiles Industry Market Research, Statistics, Trends & Leading Companies
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report