UK: Matalan Q3 earnings drop despite sales rise
- Q3 revenue up 3.7% to GBP321m
- EBITDA down 8.4% to GBP41.5m
- MD hails improved women’s wear offer
Online sales were up 22% during the three month period
Out-of-town fashion and homeware retailer Matalan recorded a drop in third quarter earnings, despite increasing revenues in the three months to 30 November.
The UK company, which left its full-year EBITDA forecast unchanged, added that revenues rose 3.1% in Christmas trading – the four weeks to 28 December – including growth in full-price sales.
Online sales were up 22% and Matalan surpassed its previous record sales figure in one day by 20%.
“The focus in recent months on our ladieswear offer, product availability and online growth delivered an improving trend through the period after a difficult start,” said Jason Hargreaves, Matalan managing director.
“We then carried this improvement through December.”
Hargreaves added that the company remained “cautiously optimistic” about the year ahead, despite the “challenging and competitive” market conditions.
More than 200 companies have now signed the Accord on Fire and Building Safety in Bangladesh following the collapse of the Rana Plaza factory building in Dhaka, which killed more than 1,100 people in ...
This report provides information, analysis and valuable insight on developments relating to the performance apparel industry in the following categories: acquisitions, divestments and mergers; company...
- Can Gap maintain its momentum minus Larsson?
- Brands back Cambodia industry-wide wage bargaining
- Patagonia's CSR commitments re-shaping the sector
- Can robotics redefine apparel manufacturing?
- Zalando: profit is so last season
- Unions agree proposed Cambodia minimum wage
- New CEO may focus on Ralph Lauren supply chain
- Nike collaborates on low-impact textile challenge
- Old Navy's Larsson to replace Ralph Lauren as CEO
- Patagonia ramps up Fair Trade Certified apparel
- The future market potential for smart garments and e-textiles
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Global market review of lingerie - forecasts to 2020
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields