UK: Matalan remains cautious as Christmas sales fall
UK discount fashion and homewares retailer Matalan today (11 January) said it remains cautious in its outlook after Christmas revenues slipped 1.5%.
Total revenue edged down 0.4% to GBP309.5m (US$499m) for the 13 weeks to 24 November, compared to GBP310.8m the year before.
EBITDA, however, increased 8.6% to GBP45.3m against GBP41.7m the prior year.
The company said it continued to improve margins during the peak trading season through tight management of seasonal volumes and fewer markdowns, compared to the same period the year before. It also benefited from falling cotton prices.
Chief executive Darren Blackhurst said: "Whilst headline revenues are broadly in line with last year, this should be viewed in the context of the promotional activity that took place last year.
"We have deliberately focused on the quality of our earnings throughout the current quarter and into December, and have delivered a robust improvement in margins."
Looking forward, Blackhurst added: "The market continues to be challenging and competitive and we therefore remain cautious in our outlook."
UK discount fashion and homewares retailer Matalan remains cautious in its outlook despite booking a 10.2% increase in full-year earnings....
Labour rights groups estimate that more than EUR54m (US$71m) in long-term compensation payments are due to victims of the Rana Plaza factory complex collapse in Bangladesh last month. ...
- TPP tariff phase-out guides Vietnam sourcing plans
- Why fast fashion isn't a case of one size fits all
- How Central America garment sourcing measures up
- How virtual garments could shape fashion retail
- Alliance brands "staying the course" in Bangladesh
- Ethiopia opens flagship textile and apparel park
- VF confident on "solid" sustainability roadmap
- Inditex and Lenzing sign textile waste pact
- VF Corp cuts guidance as Q2 profit plunges 70%
- EU and US dispute China raw materials duties
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- World Textile and Apparel Trade and Production Trends: the EU - June 2016
- Luxury Goods Retailing in Europe, 2014-2019 ; Market & Category Expenditure and Forecasts, Trends, and Competitive Landscape
- Primark Stores Limited: Retailing - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis