UK: Matalan remains cautious as Christmas sales fall
UK discount fashion and homewares retailer Matalan today (11 January) said it remains cautious in its outlook after Christmas revenues slipped 1.5%.
Total revenue edged down 0.4% to GBP309.5m (US$499m) for the 13 weeks to 24 November, compared to GBP310.8m the year before.
EBITDA, however, increased 8.6% to GBP45.3m against GBP41.7m the prior year.
The company said it continued to improve margins during the peak trading season through tight management of seasonal volumes and fewer markdowns, compared to the same period the year before. It also benefited from falling cotton prices.
Chief executive Darren Blackhurst said: "Whilst headline revenues are broadly in line with last year, this should be viewed in the context of the promotional activity that took place last year.
"We have deliberately focused on the quality of our earnings throughout the current quarter and into December, and have delivered a robust improvement in margins."
Looking forward, Blackhurst added: "The market continues to be challenging and competitive and we therefore remain cautious in our outlook."
UK discount fashion and homewares retailer Matalan remains cautious in its outlook despite booking a 10.2% increase in full-year earnings....
Labour rights groups estimate that more than EUR54m (US$71m) in long-term compensation payments are due to victims of the Rana Plaza factory complex collapse in Bangladesh last month. ...
- Cheap polyester contributes to cotton import shift
- TPP trade pact in milestone signing by 12 nations
- Under Armour defends questions over strategy
- Combating the new normal – 10 trends for 2016
- US apparel retailers' January 2016 sales roundup
- Bangladesh factory fire renews worker safety fears
- China factory activity continues to deteriorate
- Southeast Asia – a strategic sourcing review
- H&M and Primark price rivalry reaches equilibrium
- PVH to take control of Tommy Hilfiger China unit
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Wearable technology: The future market potential for smart garments and e-textiles
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2021
- Wearable Technology Market by Product, Application, Type, & Geography - Global Forecast to 2020
- E-Textiles: Electronic Textiles 2014-2024