UK: Matalan remains cautious as Christmas sales fall
UK discount fashion and homewares retailer Matalan today (11 January) said it remains cautious in its outlook after Christmas revenues slipped 1.5%.
Total revenue edged down 0.4% to GBP309.5m (US$499m) for the 13 weeks to 24 November, compared to GBP310.8m the year before.
EBITDA, however, increased 8.6% to GBP45.3m against GBP41.7m the prior year.
The company said it continued to improve margins during the peak trading season through tight management of seasonal volumes and fewer markdowns, compared to the same period the year before. It also benefited from falling cotton prices.
Chief executive Darren Blackhurst said: "Whilst headline revenues are broadly in line with last year, this should be viewed in the context of the promotional activity that took place last year.
"We have deliberately focused on the quality of our earnings throughout the current quarter and into December, and have delivered a robust improvement in margins."
Looking forward, Blackhurst added: "The market continues to be challenging and competitive and we therefore remain cautious in our outlook."
UK discount fashion and homewares retailer Matalan remains cautious in its outlook despite booking a 10.2% increase in full-year earnings....
Labour rights groups estimate that more than EUR54m (US$71m) in long-term compensation payments are due to victims of the Rana Plaza factory complex collapse in Bangladesh last month. ...
- Why China 5-year plan won't change garment-making
- ‘Fixing Fashion’ one stitch at a time
- Navigating a turbulent sourcing landscape
- Supply chains under pressure as Black Friday looms
- C&A building brand loyalty through consistent fit
- US Q3 in brief: Burlington Stores, Guess, Chico's
- Adidas has greenest textile supply chain in China
- Global clothing and footwear trade to drop by 1.5%
- Cambodia living wage campaign kicks off
- New Balance launches first 3D printed running shoe
- Wearable technology: The future market potential for smart garments and e-textiles
- Practical Brand Sourcing Strategy
- Statistics: Trends in Global and Regional Man-made Fibre Production - 2015
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Technical Textile Markets: Product Developments and Innovations - 2nd Quarter 2015