UK: Matalan taps ex-Asda exec Leighton as chairman
- Leighton appointed as chairman
- Q2 revenue up 4.1% to GBP269.2m
- EBITDA rose 27.2% to GBP17.3m
Leighton holds a range of other non-executive positions including chairman of footwear retailer Office and Danish jewellery company Pandora. He was also chairman of value fashion retailer The Peacock Group, which collapsed into administration in January before selling its stores to Edinburgh Woollen Mill.
Mills said Leighton "brings a wealth of retail experience particularly in the value sector, which will support Matalan's ongoing development."
Matalan, which operates 217 stores in the UK, also revealed a 4.1% increase in second-quarter revenue to GBP269.2m (US$435m). EBITDA jumped 27.2% to GBP17.3m for the 13 weeks ended 25 August.
CEO Darren Blackhurst said: "Together, we continue to deliver outstanding value for our customers and have navigated our way through a challenging quarter, achieving robust results in a tough, competitive market.
"Whilst we remain cautious in our outlook, with the launch of our exciting new collections for autumn/winter and our continued focus on quality, service and value, we are confident we are well placed to delight customers in the months ahead."
The UK-based George at Asda clothing brand remains committed to sourcing in Bangladesh, even though at least 112 workers were killed in a factory fire last year while illegally subcontracted to produc...
Wal-Mart has revealed that its efforts to turn around its apparel business is starting to gain traction after reporting its first full-year of positive comparable apparel sales in the US in seven year...
UK clothing and footwear sales slumped during March, according to a survey released by the Confederation of British Industry (CBI). ...
George at Asda is set to launch a new label called G21 Talent, a line of limited edition, catwalk inspired collections created by designers from Graduate Fashion Week....
The latest issues and innovations in garment sizing and fit will be the focus of a new one-day seminar being organised by the ASBCI (Association of Suppliers to the British Clothing Industry) next mon...
UK retailer Monsoon Accessorize has appointed former George at Asda and Marks & Spencer executive Kevin Rusling as its international director. ...
Sales growth at UK clothing retailers during February was at its highest level since October 2010 according to figures released today by the Confederation of British Industry (CBI). ...
- Improved supplier capabilities benefit Next
- India's labour law reforms edge a step closer
- THE FLANARANT: Understand win-win or lose out
- China and Vietnam lead US apparel imports in July
- Retailers voice concerns on Scottish independence
- H&M goes green with Conscious Denim
- Under Armour "resonating strongly" with consumers
- TPP talks "make progress" but issues remain
- Adidas defends position despite investor unrest
- Ultrasonic execs disappear along with company cash
- Apparel Market in China to 2018 - Market Size, Trends, and Forecasts
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Cut and Sew Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details