UK: Matalan taps ex-Asda exec Leighton as chairman
- Leighton appointed as chairman
- Q2 revenue up 4.1% to GBP269.2m
- EBITDA rose 27.2% to GBP17.3m
Leighton holds a range of other non-executive positions including chairman of footwear retailer Office and Danish jewellery company Pandora. He was also chairman of value fashion retailer The Peacock Group, which collapsed into administration in January before selling its stores to Edinburgh Woollen Mill.
Mills said Leighton "brings a wealth of retail experience particularly in the value sector, which will support Matalan's ongoing development."
Matalan, which operates 217 stores in the UK, also revealed a 4.1% increase in second-quarter revenue to GBP269.2m (US$435m). EBITDA jumped 27.2% to GBP17.3m for the 13 weeks ended 25 August.
CEO Darren Blackhurst said: "Together, we continue to deliver outstanding value for our customers and have navigated our way through a challenging quarter, achieving robust results in a tough, competitive market.
"Whilst we remain cautious in our outlook, with the launch of our exciting new collections for autumn/winter and our continued focus on quality, service and value, we are confident we are well placed to delight customers in the months ahead."
The UK-based George at Asda clothing brand remains committed to sourcing in Bangladesh, even though at least 112 workers were killed in a factory fire last year while illegally subcontracted to produc...
Wal-Mart has revealed that its efforts to turn around its apparel business is starting to gain traction after reporting its first full-year of positive comparable apparel sales in the US in seven year...
UK clothing and footwear sales slumped during March, according to a survey released by the Confederation of British Industry (CBI). ...
George at Asda is set to launch a new label called G21 Talent, a line of limited edition, catwalk inspired collections created by designers from Graduate Fashion Week....
The latest issues and innovations in garment sizing and fit will be the focus of a new one-day seminar being organised by the ASBCI (Association of Suppliers to the British Clothing Industry) next mon...
UK retailer Monsoon Accessorize has appointed former George at Asda and Marks & Spencer executive Kevin Rusling as its international director. ...
Sales growth at UK clothing retailers during February was at its highest level since October 2010 according to figures released today by the Confederation of British Industry (CBI). ...
- TPP trade pact in milestone signing by 12 nations
- Cheap polyester contributes to cotton import shift
- Combating the new normal – 10 trends for 2016
- Under Armour defends questions over strategy
- US apparel retailers' January 2016 sales roundup
- Bangladesh factory fire renews worker safety fears
- China factory activity continues to deteriorate
- Southeast Asia – a strategic sourcing review
- H&M and Primark price rivalry reaches equilibrium
- PVH to take control of Tommy Hilfiger China unit
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Wearable technology: The future market potential for smart garments and e-textiles
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2021
- Wearable Technology Market by Product, Application, Type, & Geography - Global Forecast to 2020
- E-Textiles: Electronic Textiles 2014-2024