UK: Matalan taps ex-Asda exec Leighton as chairman
- Leighton appointed as chairman
- Q2 revenue up 4.1% to GBP269.2m
- EBITDA rose 27.2% to GBP17.3m
Leighton holds a range of other non-executive positions including chairman of footwear retailer Office and Danish jewellery company Pandora. He was also chairman of value fashion retailer The Peacock Group, which collapsed into administration in January before selling its stores to Edinburgh Woollen Mill.
Mills said Leighton "brings a wealth of retail experience particularly in the value sector, which will support Matalan's ongoing development."
Matalan, which operates 217 stores in the UK, also revealed a 4.1% increase in second-quarter revenue to GBP269.2m (US$435m). EBITDA jumped 27.2% to GBP17.3m for the 13 weeks ended 25 August.
CEO Darren Blackhurst said: "Together, we continue to deliver outstanding value for our customers and have navigated our way through a challenging quarter, achieving robust results in a tough, competitive market.
"Whilst we remain cautious in our outlook, with the launch of our exciting new collections for autumn/winter and our continued focus on quality, service and value, we are confident we are well placed to delight customers in the months ahead."
The UK-based George at Asda clothing brand remains committed to sourcing in Bangladesh, even though at least 112 workers were killed in a factory fire last year while illegally subcontracted to produc...
Wal-Mart has revealed that its efforts to turn around its apparel business is starting to gain traction after reporting its first full-year of positive comparable apparel sales in the US in seven year...
UK clothing and footwear sales slumped during March, according to a survey released by the Confederation of British Industry (CBI). ...
George at Asda is set to launch a new label called G21 Talent, a line of limited edition, catwalk inspired collections created by designers from Graduate Fashion Week....
The latest issues and innovations in garment sizing and fit will be the focus of a new one-day seminar being organised by the ASBCI (Association of Suppliers to the British Clothing Industry) next mon...
UK retailer Monsoon Accessorize has appointed former George at Asda and Marks & Spencer executive Kevin Rusling as its international director. ...
Sales growth at UK clothing retailers during February was at its highest level since October 2010 according to figures released today by the Confederation of British Industry (CBI). ...
- New American Apparel CEO sees solid platform
- George at Asda on responsible retail journey
- Outlook 2015: What's happening with sourcing?
- Outlook 2015: Challenges and opportunities
- Outlook 2015: What keeps you awake at night?
- EU exploring responsible garment supply chains
- Gap to close Piperlime division
- Adidas sells Rockport for $280m to focus on sports
- Adidas and Timberland commit to responsible down
- Tommy Hilfiger digital showroom to reduce samples
- Myanmar's Garment Sector - Opportunities & Challenges in 2015
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields
- Li & Fung Limited (494) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Management briefing: Outlook 2015: Apparel industry issues in the year ahead
- E-Textiles: Electronic Textiles 2014-2024