US: Meijer opens direct sourcing office in Hong Kong
American hypermarket chain Meijer has opened its first direct sourcing office in Hong Kong - its first operation outside the US and a platform from which it will expand its sourcing activities throughout Asia.
Meijer is one of the largest privately owned retailers in the US, operating more than 210 supercentres and selling over 40 product categories including apparel.
The new office in Hong Kong, Meijer Trading Ltd, will be responsible for sourcing, quality assurance and quality control at its supplier factories manufacturing in Asia. It will also play a key role in ensuring the highest standards of social compliance are implemented in the factories selected to manufacture Meijer's own brand products.
The Hong Kong operation will cover all of Asia Pacific, with significant growth planned for the future.
"As a major and central hub for business in Asia, Hong Kong appeared to be the most efficient and business friendly place to start our operations," said Hank Meijer, co-chairman and chief executive officer.
Andrew Davis, the associate director-general of investment promotion at Invest Hong Kong, said Meijer should benefit from increased efficiency thanks to Hong Kong's status as a logistics and distribution hub, as well as its close proximity to many strategic manufacturing bases in mainland China and other parts of Asia.
- Impact of the TPP on the US textile industry?
- JC Penney emphasises new merchandising strategy
- Crystal Group nurtures its caring culture
- Hazardous chemical removal a key industry issue
- US apparel import data shows China competitiveness
- Vietnam proposes 15% rise to regional minimum wage
- Cambodia garment workers “dying on the job”
- Avery Dennison forms JV with Ningbo Shenzhou
- Nike appointments to drive growth opportunities
- Critical findings identified at Bangladesh complex
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Textile Wholesaling in the UK - Industry Market Research Report
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Survey of the European Fabric Fairs: Spring/Summer 2015
- Prospects for the Textile and Clothing Industry in Turkey