CANADA: Men's apparel market "primed for prosperity"
Canadian apparel retailers should consider switching their focus to men and move away from the more saturated women's market if they are to get ahead, according to new data.
Research from Leisure Trends, part of global information company The NPD Group, reveals department store clothing sales for men aged 20-35 have soared 64% in the 12 months to the end of December, the largest channel increase over the past year.
The figures show apparel sales for this segment are up 18% across all channels, indicating a national trend that spells opportunity for savvy marketers.
On the flip side, the US$13.5bn female-focused apparel market remained flat in 2013 as it becomes saturated with more of the same while the men's fashion landscape becomes "increasingly exciting with the perpetual introduction of new products", the report noted.
"It's a new and exciting world for retailers as men become just as interested, if not more so, in the products that have captured the attention of women for decades," said Sandy Silva, fashion industry analyst at The NPD Group.
"Whether they're in the market for clothes, accessories, specialty creams or shaping undergarments, men can now adorn themselves with as many goods as their female counterparts."
The report concluded that the men's apparel market is "primed for continued prosperity", and provided this trend is more than a passing fad, Canada's fashion industry is poised for much success in the years to come.
- Global supply chain trends at Sourcing at MAGIC
- Why voters don’t want more global supply chains
- Denim and athleisure top picks for back-to-school
- What's 3D-printing doing for apparel and footwear?
- Labelling – The importance of the fine print
- H&M takes action over Myanmar child labour breach
- Vietnam garment industry calls for strategy update
- Nike and Apollo create supply chain partnership
- US Q2 in brief - Express, The Buckle, Stein Mart
- Li & Fung joins FTA in sustainable sourcing pledge
- Too Many Standards
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Under Armour, Inc. (UA) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- THE GAP, INC.: Retailing - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis