US: Men’s Wearhouse Q4 losses widen as sales dip
- Q4 adjusted net loss US$17.9m versus $4.9m
- Q4 adjusted revenues down 2.6% to $560.6m
- CEO blames weather and weak consumer spending
The Men’s Wearhouse suffered an increased adjusted net loss in the fourth quarter, with retail sales in particular hit by bad weather and poor consumer sentiment.
The US company’s 3.3% decline in retail revenues in the three months to 1 February was partially offset by a 3.9% increase in corporate apparel revenues, leaving full-year revenues down 0.6%.
Its Men’s Wearhouse brand suffered a 6.1% revenue decline in the fourth quarter, Moores was down 13.6%, K&G fell by 15% and MW Cleaners edged down 0.5%.
“We were not immune to the effects of weak consumer spending sentiments and severe weather disruption that impacted most retailers in December and January,” said Doug Ewert, president and CEO.
“Tuxedo and corporate apparel sales were in line with internal expectations, while clothing sales in all three retail chains were lower than expected.”
But, he added, business had improved “significantly” in February.
The results announcement comes after Men’s Wearhouse agreed to acquire Jos A Bank Clothiers in a $1.8bn deal, following a five-month takeover tussle between the two companies.
- The difference between compliance and safety?
- Central America must make better use of DR-CAFTA
- How M&S plans to revamp its clothing business
- Yarn-forward rules weigh on Vietnam TPP potential
- Is China really going through a slump?
- US Q1 in brief – Guess, Burlington Stores, Sears
- Gap accused of rights violations in supply chain
- BHS supplier Courtaulds Brands in administration
- Nike management changes to drive innovation
- Social responsibility key to winning millennials
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Victoria's Secret Stores, Inc.: Retailing - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis
- Nike Inc in Apparel and Footwear (World)
- Apparel Accessories in Hong Kong, China
- Practical Price Negotiation for Apparel Sourcing Professionals