US: Men’s Wearhouse Q4 losses widen as sales dip
- Q4 adjusted net loss US$17.9m versus $4.9m
- Q4 adjusted revenues down 2.6% to $560.6m
- CEO blames weather and weak consumer spending
The Men’s Wearhouse suffered an increased adjusted net loss in the fourth quarter, with retail sales in particular hit by bad weather and poor consumer sentiment.
The US company’s 3.3% decline in retail revenues in the three months to 1 February was partially offset by a 3.9% increase in corporate apparel revenues, leaving full-year revenues down 0.6%.
Its Men’s Wearhouse brand suffered a 6.1% revenue decline in the fourth quarter, Moores was down 13.6%, K&G fell by 15% and MW Cleaners edged down 0.5%.
“We were not immune to the effects of weak consumer spending sentiments and severe weather disruption that impacted most retailers in December and January,” said Doug Ewert, president and CEO.
“Tuxedo and corporate apparel sales were in line with internal expectations, while clothing sales in all three retail chains were lower than expected.”
But, he added, business had improved “significantly” in February.
The results announcement comes after Men’s Wearhouse agreed to acquire Jos A Bank Clothiers in a $1.8bn deal, following a five-month takeover tussle between the two companies.
Men's Wearhouse has closed its acquisition of US men's apparel and footwear business Jos A Bank Clothiers following a long-running battle by the firm to buy its rival....
The Global market review of Workwear which was first published by just-style in 2010 proved to be one of our best selling reports to date. Hardly surprising then, that there has been much anticipation...
US men's apparel and footwear business Jos A Bank Clothiers has said it remains cautious heading into the crucial Father's Day period after suffering a gross margin decline in May and swinging to a lo...
- Impact of the TPP on the US textile industry?
- JC Penney emphasises new merchandising strategy
- Crystal Group nurtures its caring culture
- Hazardous chemical removal a key industry issue
- US apparel import data shows China competitiveness
- Vietnam proposes 15% rise to regional minimum wage
- Cambodia garment workers “dying on the job”
- Avery Dennison forms JV with Ningbo Shenzhou
- Nike appointments to drive growth opportunities
- Critical findings identified at Bangladesh complex
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Textile Wholesaling in the UK - Industry Market Research Report
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Survey of the European Fabric Fairs: Spring/Summer 2015
- Prospects for the Textile and Clothing Industry in Turkey