UPDATE: US: Men's Wearhouse rejects Jos A Bank takeover bid
Men's Wearhouse said the proposal also undervalues its "strong prospects for continued growth and value creation", and is not in the best interests of the retailer or its shareholders.
"After careful review and deliberation, our board of directors has determined that Jos A Bank's proposal significantly undervalues Men's Wearhouse and fails to reflect the company's growth strategy and upside potential," Bill Sechrest, lead director of the Men's Wearhouse board said.
"We believe Jos A Bank's unsolicited proposal is opportunistic, subject to unacceptable risks and contingencies, and would deprive our shareholders of the value inherent in Men's Wearhouse for inadequate consideration."
Jos A Bank earlier today (9 October) said it intended to fund the transaction with a combination of cash on its balance sheet, new equity capital from Golden Gate Capital and debt financing.
President and CEO Doug Ewert added: "The board and management team are confident that continuing our strategic plan will create more value for shareholders than Jos A Bank's inadequate, highly conditional proposal.
"Men's Wearhouse has undertaken a number of strategic initiatives to accelerate growth and profitability, including our recent acquisition of JA Holding and the Joseph Abboud brand.
"We believe we are well positioned to deliver compelling value to our shareholders."
US men's apparel and footwear business Jos A Bank Clothiers said it is delivering results on its top and bottom line performance, despite booking a slight drop in fourth-quarter earnings today (2 Apri...
The Men's Wearhouse suffered an increased adjusted net loss in the fourth quarter, with retail sales in particular hit by bad weather and poor consumer sentiment....
Men's Wearhouse has secured a deal to acquire US men's apparel and footwear business Jos A Bank Clothiers following a five-month merger tussle between the two firms....
Men's Wearhouse has entered into a non-disclosure agreement with US men's apparel and footwear business Jos A Bank Clothiers under which they could discuss a potential merger....
US men's apparel and footwear business Jos A Bank Clothiers has once again rejected a bid by Men's Wearhouse for the company....
- Why China 5-year plan won't change garment-making
- ‘Fixing Fashion’ one stitch at a time
- Navigating a turbulent sourcing landscape
- Jordan garment sector strong amid regional unrest
- Hungary offers a mix of strengths and weaknesses
- US Q3 in brief: Burlington Stores, Guess, Chico's
- German sustainable textile scheme heads to Vietnam
- Golden Lady creates a new man-made fibre
- China and ASEAN upgrade FTA
- 3D tool uses product data to shake up shopping
- Wearable technology: The future market potential for smart garments and e-textiles
- Practical Brand Sourcing Strategy
- Statistics: Trends in Global and Regional Man-made Fibre Production - 2015
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Trade and Trade Policy: The World’s Leading Clothing Exporters and Key Markets 2015