EUROPE: MEPs call for mandatory ‘made in' labels on clothes
The European Parliament yesterday (17 January) urged the European Commission to stick to its guns in proposing that origin labelling for clothing and shoes made outside the European Union (EU) be made mandatory.
The call came after the EU executive threatened to withdraw a legislative proposal on the issue.
The Commission is struggling to find majority support for the idea on the EU Council of Ministers. If the proposal is in the end withdrawn, clothing and footwear manufacturers would not be obliged to disclose the origin of their producers when selling in the European market.
MEPs also pointed out in a resolution this would weaken the EU compared with competitors such as the US, China and Japan, which do have mandatory ‘made in' labels.
The chair of the parliament's international trade committee, Portuguese social democrat Vital Moreira, said in a debate the legislation was designed to "prevent the use of false or misleading labels, so as to put us on an equal footing with our trade partners".
Other MEPs accused multinationals in some big EU countries of lobbying against the legislation which would ban "misleading or no claims of origin to cover up environmental and social dumping," said a parliament memorandum.
The motion asked the European Commission to make the proposal more politically palatable, but preserve its core requirement.
- Why China 5-year plan won't change garment-making
- ‘Fixing Fashion’ one stitch at a time
- Navigating a turbulent sourcing landscape
- Freeing up working capital in the supply chain
- Hungary offers a mix of strengths and weaknesses
- US Q3 in brief: Burlington Stores, Guess, Chico's
- German sustainable textile scheme heads to Vietnam
- Golden Lady creates a new man-made fibre
- China and ASEAN upgrade FTA
- 3D tool uses product data to shake up shopping
- Wearable technology: The future market potential for smart garments and e-textiles
- Practical Brand Sourcing Strategy
- Statistics: Trends in Global and Regional Man-made Fibre Production - 2015
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Trade and Trade Policy: The World’s Leading Clothing Exporters and Key Markets 2015