Mexican textile importers to register or lose authority
Mexican textile and apparel importers will lose authorisation to conduct import operations unless registration is submitted, under rules being implemented by the government.
The rules, which require the submission of a registration for a new sectorial importers’ registry by 1 March, could have a significant impact on companies importing, legal firm Sandler, Travis & Rosenberg has said. The deadline was extended on Friday for a further month, from a previous deadline of 1 February.
Under measures announced by the Mexican government in December, textile and apparel importers must register on the sectorial importers’ registry before they may import goods classified within chapters 50 to 63 of the Harmonized Tariff Schedule of Mexico.
Registration was opened on 1 January, and failure to register by the 1 March deadline could lead to a denial of entry for a company’s imports, along with the resultant costs and supply chain delays.
Separately, minimum reference prices for textile and apparel goods will enter into force on 2 February. If importers declare a customs value for a shipment below the reference prices they will have to guarantee the difference in duties by using a bond.
Another new requirement now in effect is that importers must notify Mexican customs at least five working days in advance of any textile and apparel import operation to give authorities time to evaluate whether the goods are undervalued.
These and other measures being imposed for textiles and apparel are similar to those Mexico put in place for footwear last year.
- Traditional financing is a misfit for fast fashion
- Why do modern robotics elude sportswear makers?
- Trump trade policy – Who knows what he'll do?
- Planning is key to an effective inventory strategy
- Software for financial planning and operations
- US Q3 in brief - G-III Apparel, Express
- Esquel efficiency drive continues to boost brands
- Film documents Cambodia garment workers' stories
- Bagir exports first trousers for H&M from Ethiopia
- Pakistan suspends India cotton imports
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Footwear Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide_2016
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack