MAURITIUS: Miatex Europe To Showcase Homegrown Talent
The textile industry of Mauritius, an island off the east coast of South Africa, has been in existence for just thirty years, the Mauritius Export Development and Investment Authority (MEDIA) said.
Exports reached $1.2bn last year, making the industry increasingly important to the island, which is working to become the textile and marketing centre of the Eastern and South African region.
The industry has become more design-led over recent years and contains higher value-added manufacturing. Companies have boosted their productivity, with reduced lead times and greater flexibility, MEDIA claimed. Increased investment in production equipment and skills-based training has also helped to improve the quality of Mauritian manufacturers' products.
The Government has also helped the industry by establishing a Clothing Technology Centre on the island recently. The Centre will assist companies in product development, design, and new technology applications.
Under the EU/ACP agreement, products from Mauritius are admitted duty free and quota free into European Union countries.
The UK middle market in clothing could soon cease to exist according to new research. The traditional mass market is being squeezed by value-led retailers on the one hand and smaller fashion multiples...
Guatemala's proximity to the United States is being hailed as a key to the survival of the region's apparel industry. But its ability to deliver on the speed-to-market promise depends on more than loc...
Nonwovens producer Polymer Group Inc is increasing the price of nonwoven roll goods in North America by up to 12 per cent, blaming rapid increases in raw material and energy costs....
Innovo Group Inc has hired Elena Pickett as its vice president of sales. In this new position for the company, Ms Pickett will primarily oversee and direct sales for the branded apparel lines, which i...
Sri Lankan clothing maker Jinadasa Garments has set up its third production unit in Africa. The new plant, which operates under the name of California Link (Ghana) Ltd, expands the company's two exist...
Market trend and merchandising strategy source The Doneger Group has appointed Janine Blain to head up its new West Coast operations....
Italian customs police have uncovered €1.8 million worth of fake-branded trainers imported from China. ...
Fashion apparel and accessories company Liz Claiborne Inc has made a number of senior leadership appointments and organisational changes in line with its growth strategies....
- Traditional financing is a misfit for fast fashion
- Planning is key to an effective inventory strategy
- US apparel retailers' November 2016 sales roundup
- Why do modern robotics elude sportswear makers?
- Software for financial planning and operations
- US Q3 in brief – Genesco, G-III Apparel, Express
- Esquel efficiency drive continues to boost brands
- Film documents Cambodia garment workers' stories
- Columbia waterproof jacket first made without PFCs
- Pakistan suspends India cotton imports
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Footwear Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide_2016
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack