MAURITIUS: Miatex Europe To Showcase Homegrown Talent
Miatex 2000, the Mauritian textile and apparel exhibition, opens its doors on October 3 in Copenhagen. It is the show's fifth consecutive year in Europe.The textile industry of Mauritius, an island off the east coast of South Africa, has been in existence for just thirty years, the Mauritius Export Development and Investment Authority (MEDIA) said. Exports reached $1.2bn last year, making the industry increasingly important to the island, which is working to become the textile and marketing centre of the Eastern and South African region.The industry has become more design-led over recent years and contains higher value-added manufacturing. Companies have boosted their productivity, with reduced lead times and greater flexibility, MEDIA claimed. Increased investment in production equipment and skills-based training has also helped to improve the quality of Mauritian manufacturers' products.The Government has also helped the industry by establishing a Clothing Technology Centre on the island recently. The Centre will assist companies in product development, design, and new technology applications.Under the EU/ACP agreement, products from Mauritius are admitted duty free and quota free into European Union countries.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- What TTIP might mean for US, EU textiles & apparel
- Four steps to reduce product defects
- Geo-political uncertainty and how to survive it
- Adidas raises the bar for North America sales
- Finding value in fashion retail reverse logistics
- H&M, VF Corp and Levi among most ethical companies
- PVH Corp to acquire e-commerce retailer True&Co
- US Q4 in brief – Destination XL Group, Caleres
- Vietnam limits hazardous chemicals in apparel
- Target unveils "ambitious" store re-design plans
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective