US: Michael Kors Q3 profit soars on rising sales
- Q3 profit more than doubles to $130m
- Revenues jumped 70.4% to $636.8m
- Gross margin improved to 60.2%
US-based luxury clothing brand Michael Kors is lifting its full-year earnings guidance after more than doubling its third-quarter profit on the back of rising sales and new store growth.
Net income reached US$130m for the three months to 29 December, up from $39m the same period the prior year.
Total revenue surged 70.4% to $636.8m from $373.6m the prior year. Retail net sales increased 66.8% to $332.6m, driven by a 41.4% jump in comparable store sales and 66 new store openings since the end of the comparable third-quarter.
Wholesale net sales rose 77.4% to $274.3m and licensing revenue was up 52.1% to $29.8m. Gross margin improved to 60.2% against 59.4% the year before.
Chairman and CEO John Idol said: "Our strong third quarter performance reflects sustained brand momentum as the global recognition and appeal for the Michael Kors luxury brand continued to expand. Moreover, we were extremely pleased with the holiday season as Michael Kors' brand strength, innovative fashion design and jet-set in-store experience drove strong sales and earnings."
Looking ahead, the company expects fourth-quarter diluted earnings per share to range from $0.32 to $0.34 and revenues to be between $515m and $525m.
Full-year diluted earnings per share are estimated to range from $1.80 to $1.82, compared to its earlier guidance of $1.48-$1.50. Revenues are forecast to reach $2.1bn against its earlier guidance of between $1.86bn to $1.96bn.
- SOURCING: Worldwide change in cost competitiveness
- Li & Fung looks to new frontiers for growth
- More licensing and less M&A for Global Brands
- Water scarcity a challenge to cotton supply chains
- Fitness fashion propels Athleta towards $1bn sales
- Cambodia garment makers condemn strike protests
- Adidas to use only Bluesign-approved chemicals
- Bangladesh workers in constructive employer talks
- Scientists hail first recycled cotton garment
- Joint programme to promote compliance in Pakistan
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Knitting Mills - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Cut and Sew Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details