UK: Midmarket Retailers In For A Cold Christmas - Analysts
Struggling UK retailers, especially those in the shrinking middle-market such as Marks and Spencer, face a tough Christmas, retail analysts are warning. The crippling fuel crisis, rail chaos, flood misery, atrocious weather and a slow housing market are keeping shoppers away from stores. Experts already estimate that the recent chaos in the last fortnight has cost stores £120 million and they say the downward spending spree will be difficult to reverse. And they are warning retailers to think hard about what promotions they can offer to attract more customers into their stores. Analysts fear the only winners this Christmas will be the customers, as stores are forced to offer more promotions to attract more shoppers. Hayley Myers, a retail analyst with Retail Intelligence, says stores like Boots are already setting the trend with promotions. She said: "Stores have got to be realistic and not make a bad situation very much worse. It's a tough environment, especially in the middle ground, and they have got to get on with increasing their market share." The run-up to Christmas is a crucial selling period for retailers, with many taking a big proportion of their annual sales over this period. The situation did not get off to a good start for retailers this autumn, as revealed by the British Retail Consortium's monthly survey. October saw total retail sales grow slowly to 4.1 per cent, compared with 5.4 per cent in September. Sales in October were just 1.5 per cent higher than a year ago - one of the survey's slowest growth rates this year. A spokesman for the BRC said that there was little doubt that sales growth had peaked and with current conditions, retailers face a tough time catching up on lost ground over Christmas.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- Li & Fung eyes speed, innovation & digitalisation
- Digitalisation and data to disrupt supply chains
- 3D CAD comes of age
- EU eyes mandatory due diligence for apparel supply
- Unlocks for the future fashion sourcing landscape
- Li & Fung forms supply chain partnership with PVH
- Big data to help US firms improve clothing fit
- Labour rights risk Bangladesh EU trade benefits?
- Apparel group Sae-A opens second school in Haiti
- US Q4 in brief – G-III Apparel, Finish Line
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack