UK: Mike Ashley eyes House of Fraser stake?
Ashley is believed to have been in talks with selected House of Fraser shareholders about buying out investors and forming a strategic partnership, according to The Telegraph.
If Ashley does buy an interest in House of Fraser, it would be the third deal aimed at moving his sports retail chain further upmarket, the report noted.
However, a spokesperson for House of Fraser declined to comment on the situation when contacted by just-style today (26 November).
The department store retailer's shareholders include Icelandic bank Landsbanki, House of Fraser's chairman Don McMarthy and TBH Trading.
Last year, Sports Direct acquired a majority stake in fashion firms West Coast Capital (USC) and Cruise Clothing Ltd (Cruise) in a deal worth GBP7.0m (US$11.2m).
It also saw its sales increase 18% last month on the back of Olympic spending and an "excellent back-to-school period".
House of Fraser, which operates 62 stores in the UK & Ireland, reported a 1.7% rise in half-year like-for-like sales in September on the back of increased online sales.
UK retailer Sports Direct has continued to record growth, with sales increasing during February and March. ...
- MYANMAR SNAPSHOT: Textile and apparel industry
- Indian apparel exporters discuss policy changes
- Clothing seen as central focus for new Tesco CEO
- INTERVIEW: David Nieper pushes Made in UK momentum
- VF Corp bullish for second-half growth
- Crystal Group improves worker communication
- TIMELINE: Charney ousting from American Apparel
- UN rights expert urges further Cambodia reforms
- ILO backs Burma project to improve work practices
- VF Corp books "solid" Q2 performance
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- American Eagle Outfitters, Inc. : Reacting to a need for change
- Management briefing: Sourcing shifts: Changes and challenges
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Plunkett's Apparel & Textiles Industry Almanac 2014: Apparel & Textiles Industry Market Research, Statistics, Trends & Leading Companies