UK: Mike Ashley eyes House of Fraser stake?
Ashley is believed to have been in talks with selected House of Fraser shareholders about buying out investors and forming a strategic partnership, according to The Telegraph.
If Ashley does buy an interest in House of Fraser, it would be the third deal aimed at moving his sports retail chain further upmarket, the report noted.
However, a spokesperson for House of Fraser declined to comment on the situation when contacted by just-style today (26 November).
The department store retailer's shareholders include Icelandic bank Landsbanki, House of Fraser's chairman Don McMarthy and TBH Trading.
Last year, Sports Direct acquired a majority stake in fashion firms West Coast Capital (USC) and Cruise Clothing Ltd (Cruise) in a deal worth GBP7.0m (US$11.2m).
It also saw its sales increase 18% last month on the back of Olympic spending and an "excellent back-to-school period".
House of Fraser, which operates 62 stores in the UK & Ireland, reported a 1.7% rise in half-year like-for-like sales in September on the back of increased online sales.
UK retailer Sports Direct has continued to record growth, with sales increasing during February and March. ...
- TPP tariff phase-out guides Vietnam sourcing plans
- Why fast fashion isn't a case of one size fits all
- How Central America garment sourcing measures up
- How virtual garments could shape fashion retail
- Where next for Walmart's 3D apparel design pilot?
- Ethiopia opens flagship textile and apparel park
- VF confident on "solid" sustainability roadmap
- Inditex and Lenzing sign textile waste pact
- VF Corp cuts guidance as Q2 profit plunges 70%
- EU and US dispute China raw materials duties
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- World Textile and Apparel Trade and Production Trends: the EU - June 2016
- Luxury Goods Retailing in Europe, 2014-2019 ; Market & Category Expenditure and Forecasts, Trends, and Competitive Landscape
- Primark Stores Limited: Retailing - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis