UK: Mike Ashley eyes House of Fraser stake?
Ashley is believed to have been in talks with selected House of Fraser shareholders about buying out investors and forming a strategic partnership, according to The Telegraph.
If Ashley does buy an interest in House of Fraser, it would be the third deal aimed at moving his sports retail chain further upmarket, the report noted.
However, a spokesperson for House of Fraser declined to comment on the situation when contacted by just-style today (26 November).
The department store retailer's shareholders include Icelandic bank Landsbanki, House of Fraser's chairman Don McMarthy and TBH Trading.
Last year, Sports Direct acquired a majority stake in fashion firms West Coast Capital (USC) and Cruise Clothing Ltd (Cruise) in a deal worth GBP7.0m (US$11.2m).
It also saw its sales increase 18% last month on the back of Olympic spending and an "excellent back-to-school period".
House of Fraser, which operates 62 stores in the UK & Ireland, reported a 1.7% rise in half-year like-for-like sales in September on the back of increased online sales.
UK retailer Sports Direct has continued to record growth, with sales increasing during February and March. ...
- SOURCING: Worldwide change in cost competitiveness
- Gap audits reveal compliance issues in Myanmar
- Water scarcity a challenge to cotton supply chains
- Li & Fung looks to new frontiers for growth
- ANALYSIS: Back-to-school spending a waiting game
- Adidas to use only Bluesign-approved chemicals
- Scientists hail first recycled cotton garment
- Accord and Alliance discord "a setback"
- Weak traffic slows sales for Abercrombie & Fitch
- Myanmar and US to develop labour rights initiative
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Cut and Sew Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- China - ISA Country Report