UK: Mike Ashley eyes House of Fraser stake?
Ashley is believed to have been in talks with selected House of Fraser shareholders about buying out investors and forming a strategic partnership, according to The Telegraph.
If Ashley does buy an interest in House of Fraser, it would be the third deal aimed at moving his sports retail chain further upmarket, the report noted.
However, a spokesperson for House of Fraser declined to comment on the situation when contacted by just-style today (26 November).
The department store retailer's shareholders include Icelandic bank Landsbanki, House of Fraser's chairman Don McMarthy and TBH Trading.
Last year, Sports Direct acquired a majority stake in fashion firms West Coast Capital (USC) and Cruise Clothing Ltd (Cruise) in a deal worth GBP7.0m (US$11.2m).
It also saw its sales increase 18% last month on the back of Olympic spending and an "excellent back-to-school period".
House of Fraser, which operates 62 stores in the UK & Ireland, reported a 1.7% rise in half-year like-for-like sales in September on the back of increased online sales.
UK retailer Sports Direct has continued to record growth, with sales increasing during February and March. ...
- Supply chain takeaways from Sourcing at MAGIC
- Why voters don’t want more global supply chains
- Denim and athleisure top picks for back-to-school
- What's 3D-printing doing for apparel and footwear?
- Cotton supply chain transparency an ongoing issue
- H&M takes action over Myanmar child labour breach
- Vietnam garment industry calls for strategy update
- US Q2 in brief - Burlington Stores, Destination XL
- Zara USA faces US$5m deceptive pricing lawsuit
- EU clothing imports from China continue to plunge
- Too Many Standards
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Under Armour, Inc. (UA) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory