UK: Mild weather hits clothing sales in 2013
Unseasonably mild weather at the start of the year hit clothing retailers in 2013, according to new figures.
The Confederation of British Industry (CBI) said there was modest high-street sales growth in the year to January, yet fortunes were mixed across the different sectors.
Clothing and footwear sales declined 55% in the period, while leather retailers saw sales fall 14%.
Nonetheless, a balance of 14% of all retail respondents said sales were up on a year ago. A balance of 15% expect sales to grow next month.
Barry Williams, chief merchandising officer for food at Asda, and chair of the CBI Distributive Trades Survey Panel, said: "At a time of year when shoppers are recovering from the excesses of Christmas and watching their spending carefully, it's encouraging that high street sales have continued to grow.
"While retailers predict some modest growth ahead, the prospect of continually slow pay growth is likely to mean cautious consumers for some time to come."
Internet retailing continued to expand rapidly in the UK in 2013 as sales made from tablets and smartphones drove much of this growth. Multichannel retailing has become a central plank of the overall ...
The UK’s department stores are investing in the modernisation of their outlets with the aim of making them more attractive to consumers and incorporate aspects of multichannel retailing more effective...
The UK retailing industry registered positive growth in 2013 despite the fact that the economic climate in the country remained challenging as consumer spending habits remained under the influence of ...
Introduction Childrenswear in the United Kingdom industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market share, market size (value 2009-13, and......
- VF Corp confirms interest in Africa sourcing
- Euro decline weighs on Turkish clothing industry
- G-Star RAW pushes the boundaries of denim
- Will Amazon take over the US apparel market?
- US groups seek workable apparel provisions in TPP
- Metallised thread for "revolutionary" RFID tag
- Manufacturing in China falls to 15-month low
- VF Corp ups guidance on "strong" Q2
- UK retailers to answer over human trafficking
- Eliminating risk tops sustainability agenda
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details
- Management briefing: Factory safety and auditing: The key challenges
- Global market review of workwear - forecasts to 2019
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020