UK: Mild weather hits clothing sales in 2013
Unseasonably mild weather at the start of the year hit clothing retailers in 2013, according to new figures.
The Confederation of British Industry (CBI) said there was modest high-street sales growth in the year to January, yet fortunes were mixed across the different sectors.
Clothing and footwear sales declined 55% in the period, while leather retailers saw sales fall 14%.
Nonetheless, a balance of 14% of all retail respondents said sales were up on a year ago. A balance of 15% expect sales to grow next month.
Barry Williams, chief merchandising officer for food at Asda, and chair of the CBI Distributive Trades Survey Panel, said: "At a time of year when shoppers are recovering from the excesses of Christmas and watching their spending carefully, it's encouraging that high street sales have continued to grow.
"While retailers predict some modest growth ahead, the prospect of continually slow pay growth is likely to mean cautious consumers for some time to come."
Introduction Childrenswear in the United Kingdom industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market share, market size (value 2009-13, and......
- US fashion firms share their sourcing strategies
- Cost biggest barrier to Bangladesh RMG remediation
- How apparel retailers should react to Brexit
- Britain votes for Brexit – what happens next?
- Lies and statistics – the sustainability version
- Bangladesh firm comes top in World Textile Awards
- Columbia rain jacket a milestone in sustainability
- Ten key trends in apparel and footwear markets
- Myanmar factories prepare for compliance training
- ILO decent work in global supply chains criticised
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Primark Stores Limited: Retailing - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis
- Clothing & Footwear Retailing in Indonesia– Market Summary & Forecasts
- Clothing & Footwear Retailing in China – Market Summary & Forecasts
- Nike Inc in Apparel and Footwear (World)