UK: Mild weather hits clothing sales in 2013
Unseasonably mild weather at the start of the year hit clothing retailers in 2013, according to new figures.
The Confederation of British Industry (CBI) said there was modest high-street sales growth in the year to January, yet fortunes were mixed across the different sectors.
Clothing and footwear sales declined 55% in the period, while leather retailers saw sales fall 14%.
Nonetheless, a balance of 14% of all retail respondents said sales were up on a year ago. A balance of 15% expect sales to grow next month.
Barry Williams, chief merchandising officer for food at Asda, and chair of the CBI Distributive Trades Survey Panel, said: "At a time of year when shoppers are recovering from the excesses of Christmas and watching their spending carefully, it's encouraging that high street sales have continued to grow.
"While retailers predict some modest growth ahead, the prospect of continually slow pay growth is likely to mean cautious consumers for some time to come."
Asda Stores Limited - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and service offe...
ASDA Stores Limited - Strategic SWOT Analysis Review provides a comprehensive insight into the company’s history, corporate strategy, business structure and operations. The report contains a detailed ...
Sales of apparel specialist retailers were affected by the wet weather characterising the British summer in 2012, which discouraged consumers from buying spring/summer collections. On the other hand, ...
The first fall in demand for clothing since the start of the year weighed on UK retail sales growth in June, according to new figures, although the pace is expected to pick up again next month....
Apparel and footwear specialist retailers in the UK recorded sluggish growth in sales in 2013 as the trading environment in non-grocery retailing across much of the UK remained challenging. As well as...
- MYANMAR SNAPSHOT: Textile and apparel industry
- Alliance members buy more products from Bangladesh
- Clothing seen as central focus for new Tesco CEO
- Indian apparel exporters discuss policy changes
- Change management key to PLM project success
- Crystal Group improves worker communication
- TIMELINE: Charney ousting from American Apparel
- Columbia Sportswear fined for mislabelled clothing
- “Made in USA” company rapped for deceptive claims
- VF Corp books "solid" Q2 performance
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Management briefing: Sourcing shifts: Changes and challenges
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Plunkett's Apparel & Textiles Industry Almanac 2014: Apparel & Textiles Industry Market Research, Statistics, Trends & Leading Companies
- American Eagle Outfitters, Inc. : Reacting to a need for change