UK: Mild weather hits clothing sales in 2013
Unseasonably mild weather at the start of the year hit clothing retailers in 2013, according to new figures.
The Confederation of British Industry (CBI) said there was modest high-street sales growth in the year to January, yet fortunes were mixed across the different sectors.
Clothing and footwear sales declined 55% in the period, while leather retailers saw sales fall 14%.
Nonetheless, a balance of 14% of all retail respondents said sales were up on a year ago. A balance of 15% expect sales to grow next month.
Barry Williams, chief merchandising officer for food at Asda, and chair of the CBI Distributive Trades Survey Panel, said: "At a time of year when shoppers are recovering from the excesses of Christmas and watching their spending carefully, it's encouraging that high street sales have continued to grow.
"While retailers predict some modest growth ahead, the prospect of continually slow pay growth is likely to mean cautious consumers for some time to come."
Asda Stores Limited - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and service offe...
Sales of apparel specialist retailers were affected by the wet weather characterising the British summer in 2012, which discouraged consumers from buying spring/summer collections. On the other hand, ...
Apparel and footwear specialist retailers in the UK recorded sluggish growth in sales in 2013 as the trading environment in non-grocery retailing across much of the UK remained challenging. As well as...
Internet retailing continued to expand rapidly in the UK in 2013 as sales made from tablets and smartphones drove much of this growth. Multichannel retailing has become a central plank of the overall ...
- New American Apparel CEO sees solid platform
- George at Asda on responsible retail journey
- Outlook 2015: What's happening with sourcing?
- Connected sourcing networks ease payment problems
- Outlook 2015: Challenges and opportunities
- Talks underway on Myanmar minimum wage
- Fashion brands facing strong dollar “headwind”
- Tommy Hilfiger digital showroom to reduce samples
- EU exploring responsible garment supply chains
- C&A to boost opportunities for women in India
- Myanmar's Garment Sector - Opportunities & Challenges in 2015
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields
- Li & Fung Limited (494) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- E-Textiles: Electronic Textiles 2014-2024
- Management briefing: Outlook 2015: Apparel industry issues in the year ahead