US: Military orders push LaCrosse Footwear profit up 29%
LaCrosse Footwear Inc has posted a 29% rise in first quarter profit, as new business from the US military helped offset lower sales to the outdoor market.
In the three months to 29 March, net income was $0.8m or $0.12 per share, up from $0.6m or $0.10 per share in the same period last year.
Net sales for the quarter climbed 4% to $24.7m, from $23.7m last time.
Sales to the work market rose 16% to $17.9m, boosted by shipments to the US Marine Corps and the US Army.
This compensated for an 18% drop in sales to the outdoor market, which fell to $6.8m from $8.3m on unfavourable weather in Europe and the cautious US retail environment.
Gross margin was 40.7% of net sales, up from 40.6% in the same period of 2007.
Operating expenses were $9.0m or 36.3% of sales, compared to $8.8m or 37.1% of sales in last year's quarter.
"We are pleased with our execution and overall results for the first quarter, despite the challenging retail environment," said Joseph P Schneider, president and CEO.
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
Sportswear company Under Armour has signed an agreement to become the exclusive official outfitter for the University of Maryland's athletics teams....
LaCrosse Footwear's Danner subsidiary has won a US$3.2m boot order from the US Department of Defense, the company's biggest single order of the year....
- Why collaboration is key to fashion supply chains
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Adidas to digitalise Speedfactory concept
- M&S extends sourcing deal with Lindsey brothers
- Nike filed patent for "reinforced denim"
- US Q1 in brief – Columbia Sportswear, Amazon
- Brandix rolls out Tukatech systems
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar