INDIA: Mixed Reactions To New National Textile Policy
There were mixed reactions to the Indian government's recent National Textile Policy from two industry organisations. The Indian Cotton mills Federation (ICMF) welcomed the policy, saying that it would encourage competitiveness. The All-India Modern Textile Processors Association (Aimtex) was unimpressed however, and said that it did not give adequate direction to the industry.Aimtex president, Mr A Mohan, said that although the government had finally realised the need to encourage integrated textile complexes in the private sector, it had given no concrete proposals to promote the textile processing sector. Aimtex said that the proposal to dereserve the garment sector and remove the FDI cap was a useful one, but 100 per cent FDI in the garment sector was not desirable. ICMF was more positive about the policy. Mr B K Patodia, chairman, said it had several welcome features such as raw material availability for the textile industry at internationally competitive prices, the modernisation of spinning, weaving, and processing sectors, and the rationalisation of fiscal structure.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- Trump and the apparel industry – Infographic
- Apparel factory auditing is in the firing line
- How US border adjustment tax could affect apparel
- British Brexit plans prioritise tariff-free trade
- NRF 2017 – Retail tech launches and developments
- New project to digitalise European fashion chains
- Brands need to tackle Turkey factory refugee abuse
- JC Penney to roll out hundreds of Nike "shops"
- Patagonia launching circular economy platform
- Limited Stores files for bankruptcy protection
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Anti-odour clothing: fresh fashion for an active lifestyle
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022