INDIA: Mixed Reactions To New National Textile Policy
There were mixed reactions to the Indian government's recent National Textile Policy from two industry organisations. The Indian Cotton mills Federation (ICMF) welcomed the policy, saying that it would encourage competitiveness. The All-India Modern Textile Processors Association (Aimtex) was unimpressed however, and said that it did not give adequate direction to the industry.Aimtex president, Mr A Mohan, said that although the government had finally realised the need to encourage integrated textile complexes in the private sector, it had given no concrete proposals to promote the textile processing sector. Aimtex said that the proposal to dereserve the garment sector and remove the FDI cap was a useful one, but 100 per cent FDI in the garment sector was not desirable. ICMF was more positive about the policy. Mr B K Patodia, chairman, said it had several welcome features such as raw material availability for the textile industry at internationally competitive prices, the modernisation of spinning, weaving, and processing sectors, and the rationalisation of fiscal structure.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
- Fashion fit for the future – strategies for speed
- How PVH is paving the way for connected apparel
- Digitisation to drive new apparel-making models
- Pakistan industry seeks help to kickstart exports
- Under Armour Lighthouse will disrupt production
- US Q3 in brief – Columbia Sportswear, HanesBrands
- Primark sourcing chief Gordon steps down
- Child refugees found in Turkey apparel factories
- Chinese manufacturer invests $20m in US facility
- Managing change in the move to new tech tools
- Africa-Med strategic sourcing review – comparing East Africa, North Africa and Turkey
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Apparel (GLOBAL) - Industry Report