INDIA: Mixed Reactions To New National Textile Policy
There were mixed reactions to the Indian government's recent National Textile Policy from two industry organisations. The Indian Cotton mills Federation (ICMF) welcomed the policy, saying that it would encourage competitiveness. The All-India Modern Textile Processors Association (Aimtex) was unimpressed however, and said that it did not give adequate direction to the industry.Aimtex president, Mr A Mohan, said that although the government had finally realised the need to encourage integrated textile complexes in the private sector, it had given no concrete proposals to promote the textile processing sector. Aimtex said that the proposal to dereserve the garment sector and remove the FDI cap was a useful one, but 100 per cent FDI in the garment sector was not desirable. ICMF was more positive about the policy. Mr B K Patodia, chairman, said it had several welcome features such as raw material availability for the textile industry at internationally competitive prices, the modernisation of spinning, weaving, and processing sectors, and the rationalisation of fiscal structure.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- Wage abuses can’t be eliminated by software and PR
- Hard hit Turkish industry is not knocked out
- "Power of the many" drives change at Otto Group
- China leads US apparel sources with falling prices
- US apparel sector braces for potential cost hikes
- US Q4 in brief – Steve Madden, Target Corp
- JC Penney to close 140 stores amid lower sales
- Inditex and H&M boycott Dhaka Apparel Summit
- Bangladesh government steps in on labour crackdown
- Adidas unveils "revolutionary" marathon shoe
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Technical textile markets: product developments and innovations, December 2016
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022