INDIA: Mixed Reactions To New National Textile Policy
There were mixed reactions to the Indian government's recent National Textile Policy from two industry organisations. The Indian Cotton mills Federation (ICMF) welcomed the policy, saying that it would encourage competitiveness. The All-India Modern Textile Processors Association (Aimtex) was unimpressed however, and said that it did not give adequate direction to the industry.Aimtex president, Mr A Mohan, said that although the government had finally realised the need to encourage integrated textile complexes in the private sector, it had given no concrete proposals to promote the textile processing sector. Aimtex said that the proposal to dereserve the garment sector and remove the FDI cap was a useful one, but 100 per cent FDI in the garment sector was not desirable. ICMF was more positive about the policy. Mr B K Patodia, chairman, said it had several welcome features such as raw material availability for the textile industry at internationally competitive prices, the modernisation of spinning, weaving, and processing sectors, and the rationalisation of fiscal structure.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Where does VF supply chain sit in growth strategy?
- Adidas to digitalise Speedfactory concept
- Nike filed patent for "reinforced denim"
- Gap unveils five-year sustainable fibres pledge
- M&S extends sourcing deal with Lindsey brothers
- Adidas and Reebok top transparency index
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report