UK: Mothercare appoints Newton-Jones as interim CEO
Mother, baby and children's goods retailer Mothercare has appointed former Shop Direct chief executive Mark Newton-Jones as its interim CEO.
Newton-Jones will replace Simon Calver from 17 March while Mothercare searches for a permanent chief executive. Calver will step down from his role at the end of the month after less than two years in the role.
Previously CEO of Shop Direct, Newton-Jones left in July last year after a decade with the group. Prior to this, he held a number of senior roles with high street and online retailer Next.
Of the appointment, he said: "I'm very much looking forward to working alongside Alan, the board and the executive team of Mothercare, and to help in the transformation of the UK business whilst we continue to grow the successful international division."
Turnaround efforts at Mothercare started to pay off towards the end of last year, after the UK retailer swung to its first half-year underlying profit since 2010/11.
However, earlier this year shares in the business slumped by nearly 30% after the retailer issued a profit warning on depressed Christmas trading.
Click here to read just-style's analysis of Calver's departure and Mothercare's turnaround efforts.
More than 180 companies have now signed the Accord on Fire and Building Safety in Bangladesh following the collapse of the Rana Plaza factory building in Dhaka, which killed more than 1,100 people las...
Introduction Childrenswear in the Czech Republic industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market share, market size (value 2009-13, and......
Introduction Childrenswear in the Netherlands industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market share, market size (value 2009-13, and fo......
Introduction Childrenswear in Belgium industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market share, market size (value 2009-13, and forecast t......
Destination Maternity CEO Edward Krell has stepped down after six years to pursue other opportunities, and will be succeeded by Anthony Romano immediately....
Apparel Retail in Europe industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2008-12, and forecast to 2017). The profile also contains des...
- Marks & Spencer to extend mobile phone monitoring
- China tightens on corporate social responsibility
- Outdoor industry's future must be more inclusive
- Factoring: a lifeline for apparel suppliers?
- Tesco's H1 profit plunge: What the analysts say
- Cambodia clothing factory collapse injures eight
- Adidas "Reebok sale" would be admittance of defeat
- H&M and The North Face commit to responsible down
- Bangladesh taps factory inspectors ahead of review
- Collapsed Cambodia factory had structural issues
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Apparel Market in China to 2018 - Market Size, Trends, and Forecasts
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Prospects for the Textile and Clothing Industry in Vietnam
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre