UK: Mothercare appoints Newton-Jones as interim CEO
Mother, baby and children's goods retailer Mothercare has appointed former Shop Direct chief executive Mark Newton-Jones as its interim CEO.
Newton-Jones will replace Simon Calver from 17 March while Mothercare searches for a permanent chief executive. Calver will step down from his role at the end of the month after less than two years in the role.
Previously CEO of Shop Direct, Newton-Jones left in July last year after a decade with the group. Prior to this, he held a number of senior roles with high street and online retailer Next.
Of the appointment, he said: "I'm very much looking forward to working alongside Alan, the board and the executive team of Mothercare, and to help in the transformation of the UK business whilst we continue to grow the successful international division."
Turnaround efforts at Mothercare started to pay off towards the end of last year, after the UK retailer swung to its first half-year underlying profit since 2010/11.
However, earlier this year shares in the business slumped by nearly 30% after the retailer issued a profit warning on depressed Christmas trading.
Click here to read just-style's analysis of Calver's departure and Mothercare's turnaround efforts.
Apparel Retail in Europe industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value and volume 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The profile also c...
Apparel Retail in United Kingdom industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value and volume 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The profil...
- Why fast fashion isn't a case of one size fits all
- Sir Philip Green blamed for the collapse of BHS
- TPP tariff phase-out guides Vietnam sourcing plans
- Brexit Trade Focus – How a CANZ-UK FTA stacks up
- Brexit blow to global apparel industry confidence
- VF Corp cuts guidance as Q2 profit plunges 70%
- Ethiopia opens flagship textile and apparel park
- VF confident on "solid" sustainability roadmap
- Teijin launches polyester hook-and-loop fastener
- New Tencel fibre based on cotton waste fabrics
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- World Textile and Apparel Trade and Production Trends: the EU - June 2016
- Primark Stores Limited: Retailing - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis
- Luxury Goods Retailing in Europe, 2014-2019 ; Market & Category Expenditure and Forecasts, Trends, and Competitive Landscape