UK: Mothercare upbeat as Destination Maternity withdraws bids
Mothercare turned down the 300 pence per share offer earlier this month
Mothercare turned down the 300 pence per share offer by the US group earlier this month for not reflecting the inherent value of the company, a decision that was backed by investors Allianz Global Investors and Fidelity Worldwide.
In a response at the weekend, Destination Maternity said it was withdrawing its proposal for a possible combination with Mothercare, adding that it was unwilling to increase the value of its proposal.
In a filing with the London Stock Exchange this morning (28 July), Mothercare said it has had no contact with Destination Maternity since 3 June.
It added: "As announced in the trading update on 17 July, with the appointment of Mark Newton-Jones as chief executive, Mothercare is now fully focused on the company's plan to turnaround the UK business and to continue its strong international growth. The board remains confident in the ongoing execution of Mothercare's strategy as an independent company."
Mothercare officially welcomed Newton-Jones into the fold on 17 July as the group revealed its UK performance was beginning to stabilise.
Since late May, the group's shares have more than doubled. However, Mothercare has struggled to turn its ailing UK business around.
Click here to read just-style's analysis on the group's troubles and analysts' thoughts on its prospects.
Destination Maternity Corporation (DMC) is a specialty designer and retailer of maternity clothing. The company's stores offer tops, bottoms, lingerie, coats, swimwear, active-wear, sportswear and bea...
Introduction Childrenswear in the Czech Republic industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market share, market size (value 2009-13, and......
Introduction Childrenswear in the Netherlands industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market share, market size (value 2009-13, and fo......
Introduction Childrenswear in Belgium industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market share, market size (value 2009-13, and forecast t......
- Yuan devaluation impact mixed for garment firms
- Will Vietnam struggle with impending trade deals?
- Nicaragua apparel and shoe firms to double in size
- The new age of disruption on apparel production
- China devaluation: what’s the big deal?
- H&M scaling up living wage effort to key suppliers
- US Q2 in brief: G-III, Shoe Carnival, J Crew
- Myanmar approves first minimum wage
- EU clothing buyers should brace for higher prices
- Adidas seeking to resolve shoe supplier dispute
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Global market review of lingerie - forecasts to 2020
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020