UK: M&S CFO Stewart steps down for Tesco role
Alan Stewart, the CFO of UK retailer Marks & Spencer, has stepped down to take up the role of finance chief with Tesco.
Stewart will leave M&S on a date and on terms to be agreed, the retailer said today (10 July). A search for his successor is currently underway.
Stewart started his career in investment banking with HSBC and then became CFO at Thomas Cook Holdings in 1998. He was appointed UK CEO in 2001. From there he moved to WH Smith as group CFO, and in 2008 was appointed CFO at aircraft leasing business AWAS, before moving to M&S in 2010.
He will take over from Laurie McIlwee who announced his decision to resign from the post in April.
Tesco CEO Philip Clarke, said: "When we set out on this search we wanted a candidate who had the right blend of experience, leadership and values to play a leading role in the transformation of Tesco. We have found all three in Alan. I am looking forward to working alongside him and I know Tesco will benefit from the breadth and depth of his experience."
M&S this week reported its twelfth consecutive quarterly decline in general merchandise sales, which includes clothing.
During the forecast period, Marks & Spencer Plc is set to consolidate its online apparel retailing service whilst also refreshing its brand in order to improve its image in the eyes of British consume...
Having posted strong growth from its sales of packaged food throughout the economic recession, Marks & Spencer’s performance towards the end of the review period was hampered by the poor performance o...
Women’s leggings was the most dynamic womenswear category in the UK during 2014. Sales of women’s leggings have increased significantly in recent years as higher numbers of British women have begun to...
- Why China 5-year plan won't change garment-making
- Navigating a turbulent sourcing landscape
- Supply chains under pressure as Black Friday looms
- C&A building brand loyalty through consistent fit
- ‘Fixing Fashion’ one stitch at a time
- US Q3 in brief: Burlington Stores, Guess, Chico's
- Adidas has greenest textile supply chain in China
- Global clothing and footwear trade to drop by 1.5%
- Cambodia living wage campaign kicks off
- New Balance launches first 3D printed running shoe
- Wearable technology: The future market potential for smart garments and e-textiles
- Practical Brand Sourcing Strategy
- Statistics: Trends in Global and Regional Man-made Fibre Production - 2015
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Technical Textile Markets: Product Developments and Innovations - 2nd Quarter 2015