UK: M&S Hits Back With Big Is Beautiful
Marks & Spencer is hoping big is beautiful with its latest advertising campaign, aimed at boosting sales. A new TV advertising campaign, featuring a larger size model, gets under way in the UK next week, just days after it was revealed that leaked documents appear to show a fall in its clothing sales. Research carried out by the leading store has revealed that women are getting bigger and this is reflected in the company's new advertisements which include a size 16 model. The new campaign represents the first time that Marks & Spencer has consolidated its £20m advertising budget into a single brand campaign. One 30-second ad features the dramatic image of a larger woman celebrating the fact that she can now buy stylish clothes which suit her size and shape. The fit of Marks & Spencer women's clothing has been improved this autumn as a result of an extensive nationwide survey. Using the most up-to-date body scanning technology, measurements were taken showing that women have become taller and curvier in the last 10-12 years. According to unconfirmed reports, non-food sales in M&S's 297 stores across the country fell 6 per cent in the week ending August 19, compared with a year ago. However food sales, which account for 40 per cent of turnover, rose during the period.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
- Traditional financing is a misfit for fast fashion
- Why do modern robotics elude sportswear makers?
- Trump trade policy – Who knows what he'll do?
- Planning is key to an effective inventory strategy
- How would end of NAFTA affect US apparel industry?
- US Q3 in brief - G-III Apparel, Express
- Bagir exports first trousers for H&M from Ethiopia
- Film documents Cambodia garment workers' stories
- Esquel efficiency drive continues to boost brands
- Pakistan suspends India cotton imports
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Footwear Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide_2016
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack