UK: M&S Introduces Performance Pay, To Axe Six Stores
Marks & Spencer staff are being offered a £5m festive incentive to make the tills ring louder this year, in a bid to boost sales in the run-up to Christmas. The store today announced it is introducing performance-related pay for its 50,000 employees for the first time in the company's history.The bonuses will be worked out on a store basis. Employees of stores reaching sales targets set for November will a £75 bonus and the same for December if they meet targets set for that month. The announcement comes just hours after the store reported a drop in half-year profits and plans to axe six stores. M&S is to close stores in Bristol, Bromley, Edinburgh, Leeds, Norwich and Watford and reduce space in a further two, Bath and Derby. The store is aiming for Christmas trading this year, a crucial retail period for any store, to be better than last year year. Traditionally, the two months before Christmas generate 25 per cent of M&S profits. A spokesman for the company said the Christmas performance-related pay scheme had been well received by staff. The spokesman added: "In total, that amounts to a potential £5m up for grabs."
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- What TTIP might mean for US, EU textiles & apparel
- Four steps to reduce product defects
- Unlocks for the future fashion sourcing landscape
- Geo-political uncertainty and how to survive it
- Adidas raises the bar for North America sales
- H&M, VF Corp and Levi among most ethical companies
- US Q4 in brief – PVH Corp, J Crew, Perry Ellis
- Sears has "substantial doubt" of future
- Vietnam limits hazardous chemicals in apparel
- PVH Corp to acquire e-commerce retailer True&Co
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective