UK: M&S Introduces Performance Pay, To Axe Six Stores
Marks & Spencer staff are being offered a £5m festive incentive to make the tills ring louder this year, in a bid to boost sales in the run-up to Christmas. The store today announced it is introducing performance-related pay for its 50,000 employees for the first time in the company's history.The bonuses will be worked out on a store basis. Employees of stores reaching sales targets set for November will a £75 bonus and the same for December if they meet targets set for that month. The announcement comes just hours after the store reported a drop in half-year profits and plans to axe six stores. M&S is to close stores in Bristol, Bromley, Edinburgh, Leeds, Norwich and Watford and reduce space in a further two, Bath and Derby. The store is aiming for Christmas trading this year, a crucial retail period for any store, to be better than last year year. Traditionally, the two months before Christmas generate 25 per cent of M&S profits. A spokesman for the company said the Christmas performance-related pay scheme had been well received by staff. The spokesman added: "In total, that amounts to a potential £5m up for grabs."
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
- Fashion fit for the future – strategies for speed
- How PVH is paving the way for connected apparel
- Digitisation to drive new apparel-making models
- Under Armour Lighthouse will disrupt production
- Pakistan industry seeks help to kickstart exports
- US Q3 in brief - Rocky Brands, Gymboree Corp
- Child refugees found in Turkey apparel factories
- Chinese manufacturer invests $20m in US facility
- Managing change in the move to new tech tools
- Hong Kong's Winds Group to open Haiti factory
- Africa-Med strategic sourcing review – comparing East Africa, North Africa and Turkey
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global Sports and Fitness Wear Market 2016-2020
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022