UK: M&S Links Up With Selfridges
Selfridges is taking up 120,000 sq ft of space in M&S's flagship store in Manchester's city centre. M&S will also trade in 120,000 sq ft. The innovative design will allow customers to shop in both M&S and Selfridges across a central internal mall between the two stores.
M&S's managing director of UK Retail, Roger Holmes said: "This is a great opportunity for both Marks & Spencer and Selfridges and we believe that the real winners will be the people of Manchester.
"Bringing Marks & Spencer and Selfridges together under one roof is an innovative way of making Manchester city centre a world-class shopping destination."
Selfridges is due to open in the Manchester M&S store in autumn next year.
M&S is also opening a 36,000 sq ft store in the Trafford Centre in Manchester this summer, bringing the total selling space in the region to nearly 500,000 sq ft.
The store group has invested around £150m in the Manchester region over the last five years and over £9m this year alone.
By Deborah Bowyer
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
Clothing specialists and grocers have already made a major assault on the UK footwear market. New research suggests there is likely to be further encroachment in 2005 from non-specialists attracted by...
The prerequisite of survival in today's manufacturing environment is to have up-to-date, reliable information and communication systems integrated throughout the business - and to be able to use and i...
Children's wear has emerged as the major battleground of the UK clothing market. Fewer consumers, a slowdown in spending growth, downward price pressure from grocers and range extension from adult clo...
After a couple of months' intensive lobbying and mind-changing in Beijing, Washington and Brussels, we're pretty close to seeing what the regulatory background is going to be for global apparel tradin...
However important and serious the problems coming from quota abolition might be, there's no evidence they're urgent, says Mike Flanagan. Governments do most damage when they act in haste: the most imp...
Sports shoe company K-Swiss has reported a slight rise in third-quarter income, encouraged by better international revenue and share buybacks....
British textile and clothing companies who want to apply for next year's Queen's Award for Enterprise - one of the UK's most prestigious business accolades - need to submit their applications by midni...
Value apparel and home products retailer TJX Cos Inc has reported an increase in second-quarter net income on disciplined inventory management and opportunistic buying, despite lower-than-predicted sa...
- Hard hit Turkish industry is not knocked out
- "Power of the many" drives change at Otto Group
- China leads US apparel sources with falling prices
- Vietnam grows share of US apparel imports in 2016
- US apparel sector braces for potential cost hikes
- US Q4 in brief – Foot Locker, Nordstrom, Carter's
- Bangladesh crackdown has cost garment sector $100m
- Inditex and H&M boycott Dhaka Apparel Summit
- Macy's will "do the right thing", says Lundgren
- JC Penney to close 140 stores amid lower sales
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Technical textile markets: product developments and innovations, December 2016
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022