UK: M&S Looks Into C&A Lease
By: Jane MallinMARKS & SPENCER could take over C&A's lease on its Trafford Centre store, based just outside Manchester, it was reported in The Times today. This is something of a U-turn for M&S, which decided against setting up business in the out-of-town shopping mall when it opened in 1998. Analysts said the decision by M&S to study the documents for the 3,700 square metre Trafford Centre site implied the group, chaired by Luc Vandevelde, recognised the mistake in turning down the opportunity originally. Nick Bubb, retail analyst at SG Securities, said: "They regretted not being there from the beginning. You have to be in these out-of-town centres." However the Trafford Centre is just a short distance from Manchester's city centre, which is home to the chain's largest store worldwide. M&S is assessing the risks of taking customers away from its existing outlet. The Trafford Centre store is the only one in the C&A portfolio in which M&S has an interest, the group said, confirming that it was not harbouring any expansion plans. Last week M&S reported a 1.2 per cent fall in sales of general goods for the previous 15 weeks.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Where does VF supply chain sit in growth strategy?
- Adidas to digitalise Speedfactory concept
- Nike filed patent for "reinforced denim"
- Gap unveils five-year sustainable fibres pledge
- M&S extends sourcing deal with Lindsey brothers
- Adidas and Reebok top transparency index
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report