UK: M&S Looks Into C&A Lease
By: Jane MallinMARKS & SPENCER could take over C&A's lease on its Trafford Centre store, based just outside Manchester, it was reported in The Times today. This is something of a U-turn for M&S, which decided against setting up business in the out-of-town shopping mall when it opened in 1998. Analysts said the decision by M&S to study the documents for the 3,700 square metre Trafford Centre site implied the group, chaired by Luc Vandevelde, recognised the mistake in turning down the opportunity originally. Nick Bubb, retail analyst at SG Securities, said: "They regretted not being there from the beginning. You have to be in these out-of-town centres." However the Trafford Centre is just a short distance from Manchester's city centre, which is home to the chain's largest store worldwide. M&S is assessing the risks of taking customers away from its existing outlet. The Trafford Centre store is the only one in the C&A portfolio in which M&S has an interest, the group said, confirming that it was not harbouring any expansion plans. Last week M&S reported a 1.2 per cent fall in sales of general goods for the previous 15 weeks.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
- Fashion fit for the future – strategies for speed
- How PVH is paving the way for connected apparel
- Digitisation to drive new apparel-making models
- Pakistan industry seeks help to kickstart exports
- Under Armour Lighthouse will disrupt production
- US Q3 in brief – Columbia Sportswear, HanesBrands
- Primark sourcing chief Gordon steps down
- Child refugees found in Turkey apparel factories
- Chinese manufacturer invests $20m in US facility
- Managing change in the move to new tech tools
- Africa-Med strategic sourcing review – comparing East Africa, North Africa and Turkey
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Apparel (GLOBAL) - Industry Report