INDIA: M&S, Reliance locked in talks over JV
The two companies are discussing plans to join forces to sell clothing and food in India but have yet to come to a decision on the form of any partnership.
M&S has sold clothes in India since 2001 through a franchise accord with India's Planet Retail. The company's 13 franchise stores mostly sell clothing, although an outlet in Delhi does sell a selected range of ambient food.
India's organised retail sector is worth over US$400m and is expected to double by 2015, but the expansion of the market and the possibility of investment from multinational retailers has been fiercely opposed by small retailers and caused political apprehensions.
When contacted by just-style, a spokesman for Reliance declined to comment on whether the Indian retailer was in talks with M&S.
By Kevin Jacobs.
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
Despite concerns from non-governmental organisations and trade unions in the West about India’s credentials when it comes to sweatshop labour and basic workers' rights, the country is eyeing ambitious...
From cotton to shops, Latin America to Asia, Crystal SA is not only one of the largest knitwear companies in Colombia but also has ambitious expansion plans, as Niki Tait reports....
This year's ASBCI conference was given the theme 'Flip-flops or Fleeces? Weathering an unpredictable fashion climate' and discussed how extreme weather, environmental issues and economic downturn are ...
High street giants Topshop and Marks & Spencer are going head-to-head in a bid to be named the UK's most animal-friendly fashion retailer....
UK retailer Marks and Spencer and charity Oxfam have raised GBP1m in six months through their Oxfam Clothes Exchange partnership, which will now become permanent after a successful trial....
UK fast fashion chain Primark has reported third quarter sales 14% ahead of last year, reflecting an increase in retail selling space and expansion in Spain....
Marks and Spencer boss Sir Stuart Rose has told the company's shareholders that he takes corporate governance "extremely seriously" following his controversial promotion to executive chairman....
Here is a roundup of the top five most-read stories on just-style this week. Click on each headline for the full story....
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Where does VF supply chain sit in growth strategy?
- No US rush to Myanmar despite end to sanctions
- Inditex, Adidas and Patagonia top ethical report
- Calls for supply chain transparency standard
- Amazon wins on-demand apparel manufacturing patent
- Driving ban intensifies Myanmar logistics hurdles
- US textile industry applauds Trump executive order
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts