UK: M&S taps buying managers from rival Next
UK retailer Marks & Spencer has poached two buying managers from rival fashion firm Next, as it continues to try and turnaround its struggling clothing business.
Paula Bonham-Carter, who currently serves as buying manager at Next, has been named head of buying for M&S women's wear, while Laura Charles has been appointed as head of buying for lingerie.
A spokesperson for M&S said: "We're delighted that Laura and Paula are joining us as head of buying, lingerie and head of buying, women's wear respectively and look forward to welcoming them both to the M&S team later this year."
Both start dates are yet to be confirmed, the spokesperson added.
The news comes after Gillian Ridley Whittle stepped down as M&S's development and buying director for women's wear in October last year. In addition, former head of buying for M&S Woman, Mary Wastnage, and Sara Bradley, who was head of buying for M&S's in-house brands, left the retailer last year.
M&S has been working to turnaround its clothing business around for some time. The retailer reported its tenth consecutive quarterly decline in general merchandise sales earlier this month, despite seeing what it described as early signs of improvement in its women's wear business.
Analysts have even raised a question mark over how successful its general merchandise strategy is, adding that the pace of change for clothing needs to go further and faster.
Marks & Spencer Plc offers a wide range of quality products at prices ranging from economy to high mid-range. It is one of the longest established British high street stores and sells clothing, food a...
Having posted strong growth from its sales of packaged food throughout the economic recession, Marks & Spencer’s performance towards the end of the review period was hampered by the poor performance o...
Cone Denim has agreed a new R&D collaboration with DSM Dyneema, which it says opens up tremendous opportunities for its expanding line of performance denims....
Apparel & Non-Apparel Manufacturing in France industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The prof...
Down supplier and processor Allied Feather & Down has unveiled a new consumer tracing resource called Track My Down....
A question mark continues to hang over Marks & Spencer's clothing performance after the retailer recorded its ninth consecutive quarterly decline in like-for-like general merchandise sales - despite t...
- VF Corp confirms interest in Africa sourcing
- G-Star RAW pushes the boundaries of denim
- Will Amazon take over the US apparel market?
- US groups seek workable apparel provisions in TPP
- Pakistan textile mills fear rash of closures
- Metallised thread for "revolutionary" RFID tag
- VF Corp ups guidance on "strong" Q2
- Manufacturing in China falls to 15-month low
- Under Armour secures Germany and Austria deals
- Millennials "changing the game" for hosiery
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details
- Global market review of workwear - forecasts to 2019
- Management briefing: Factory safety and auditing: The key challenges
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020