UK: M&S taps buying managers from rival Next
UK retailer Marks & Spencer has poached two buying managers from rival fashion firm Next, as it continues to try and turnaround its struggling clothing business.
Paula Bonham-Carter, who currently serves as buying manager at Next, has been named head of buying for M&S women's wear, while Laura Charles has been appointed as head of buying for lingerie.
A spokesperson for M&S said: "We're delighted that Laura and Paula are joining us as head of buying, lingerie and head of buying, women's wear respectively and look forward to welcoming them both to the M&S team later this year."
Both start dates are yet to be confirmed, the spokesperson added.
The news comes after Gillian Ridley Whittle stepped down as M&S's development and buying director for women's wear in October last year. In addition, former head of buying for M&S Woman, Mary Wastnage, and Sara Bradley, who was head of buying for M&S's in-house brands, left the retailer last year.
M&S has been working to turnaround its clothing business around for some time. The retailer reported its tenth consecutive quarterly decline in general merchandise sales earlier this month, despite seeing what it described as early signs of improvement in its women's wear business.
Analysts have even raised a question mark over how successful its general merchandise strategy is, adding that the pace of change for clothing needs to go further and faster.
Having posted strong growth from its sales of packaged food throughout the economic recession, Marks & Spencer’s performance towards the end of the review period was hampered by the poor performance o...
Apparel & Non-Apparel Manufacturing in France industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The prof...
Cone Denim has agreed a new R&D collaboration with DSM Dyneema, which it says opens up tremendous opportunities for its expanding line of performance denims....
A question mark continues to hang over Marks & Spencer's clothing performance after the retailer recorded its ninth consecutive quarterly decline in like-for-like general merchandise sales - despite t...
Down supplier and processor Allied Feather & Down has unveiled a new consumer tracing resource called Track My Down....
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
- TPP: now the real fight starts
- Private label sourcing faces range of pressures
- Can Gap maintain its momentum minus Larsson?
- What clothing could the TPP X-basket contain?
- Where next for e-textiles and smart garments?
- Update: Negotiators agree landmark TPP trade deal
- H&M falling behind on Bangladesh factory safety?
- Nike debuts new fabric for adaptive breathability
- New Bangladesh labour rules draw union criticism
- World cotton trade seen stable in 2015/16
- Wearable technology: The future market potential for smart garments and e-textiles
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields
- Global market review of lingerie - forecasts to 2020