UK: M&S to publish list of global clothing suppliers
M&S this month published its updated Plan A sustainability report
Retailer Marks & Spencer is aiming to provide complete transparency across its supply chain, including publishing a list of its global clothing suppliers, but says the move will take time due to the sheer volume of information.
As part of its renewed Plan A eco and ethical programme, the UK retailer published an updated version earlier this month - Plan A 2020 - comprising 100 new, revised and existing commitments it has pledged to meet by the end of the decade. For the first time it also incorporates the group's international operations.
In its revised report, M&S said it is now working with customers and stakeholders to "define and deliver leadership on transparency", for example publishing an annual list of its active clothing suppliers across the world. This, it says, will be achieved by 2016.
Krishan Hundal, director of general merchandise and technology, told just-style today (24 June) that M&S has a large volume of information to look through before it can create a complete list.
"We know where our suppliers are, their names and addresses, and lots of other information as well. But what we're saying is we want to look at all the information and put it through a consumer lens and look at what will be sensible for our consumers to have transparency on."
He added: "We don't want to bombard them with lots of information because we don't think that's useful. We have so much information, we just need to look at what's important to them."
Earlier this month, apparel giant VF Corp revealed it will share the names of all the factories it uses in Bangladesh by the end of the month, as part of wider efforts to improve working conditions in the country's garment industry.
Click here to view the M&S Plan A 2020 report.
An interactive databank with intelligence on the major apparel sourcing countries
Marks & Spencer Plc offers a wide range of quality products at prices ranging from economy to high mid-range. It is one of the longest established British high street stores and sells clothing, food a...
During the forecast period, Marks & Spencer Plc is set to consolidate its online apparel retailing service whilst also refreshing its brand in order to improve its image in the eyes of British consume...
Having posted strong growth from its sales of packaged food throughout the economic recession, Marks & Spencer’s performance towards the end of the review period was hampered by the poor performance o...
Teen apparel retailer Abercrombie & Fitch Co has appointed Katia Kuethe as its new creative director....
- Will Amazon take over the US apparel market?
- US groups seek workable apparel provisions in TPP
- Pakistan textile mills fear rash of closures
- VF Corp confirms interest in Africa sourcing
- Factory funding gap has mixed impact in Myanmar
- VF Corp ups guidance on "strong" Q2
- Under Armour secures Germany and Austria deals
- Bangladesh workers rally for unpaid wages
- Intertek takes garment inspections to Myanmar
- Under Armour lifts outlook after Q2 revenue hike
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Management briefing: Factory safety and auditing: The key challenges
- Global market review of workwear - forecasts to 2019
- Global market review of lingerie - forecasts to 2020