UK: Mulberry issues profit warning as sales dip
Luxury fashion company Mulberry Group has issued a profit warning on tough UK trading at Christmas and order cancellations in South Korea.
The UK-based business said total retail sales were down 3% in the 17 weeks to 25 January, and down 7% for the last eight weeks of that period.
International sales continued to rise – up 40% and 34% for the respective periods – but UK sales were hit by the tough competitive environment and substantial discounting over Christmas.
Mulberry also warned that “significant” cancellations of wholesale orders from South Korea would lead to a likely 10% drop in wholesale revenues for the fiscal year to 31 March.
This would in turn offset rises in retail sales, leaving total sales for the year broadly flat.
Coupled with costs associated with the company’s store opening programme over the last two years, Mulberry was now likely to record full-year pre-tax profits “substantially lower” than market expectations, it said.
“Due to tough trading conditions over the Christmas period which saw significant discounting across the market, Mulberry has experienced lower than expected UK retail sales which, together with wholesale order cancellations from Korea, will adversely impact our profit this year,” said company CEO Bruno Guillon.
- Why fast fashion isn't a case of one size fits all
- TPP tariff phase-out guides Vietnam sourcing plans
- Brexit Trade Focus – How a CANZ-UK FTA stacks up
- How Central America garment sourcing measures up
- How virtual garments could shape fashion retail
- VF Corp cuts guidance as Q2 profit plunges 70%
- VF confident on "solid" sustainability roadmap
- Inditex and Lenzing sign textile waste pact
- Ethiopia opens flagship textile and apparel park
- EU and US dispute China raw materials duties
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- World Textile and Apparel Trade and Production Trends: the EU - June 2016
- Luxury Goods Retailing in Europe, 2014-2019 ; Market & Category Expenditure and Forecasts, Trends, and Competitive Landscape
- Primark Stores Limited: Retailing - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis