UK: Mulberry issues profit warning as sales dip
Luxury fashion company Mulberry Group has issued a profit warning on tough UK trading at Christmas and order cancellations in South Korea.
The UK-based business said total retail sales were down 3% in the 17 weeks to 25 January, and down 7% for the last eight weeks of that period.
International sales continued to rise – up 40% and 34% for the respective periods – but UK sales were hit by the tough competitive environment and substantial discounting over Christmas.
Mulberry also warned that “significant” cancellations of wholesale orders from South Korea would lead to a likely 10% drop in wholesale revenues for the fiscal year to 31 March.
This would in turn offset rises in retail sales, leaving total sales for the year broadly flat.
Coupled with costs associated with the company’s store opening programme over the last two years, Mulberry was now likely to record full-year pre-tax profits “substantially lower” than market expectations, it said.
“Due to tough trading conditions over the Christmas period which saw significant discounting across the market, Mulberry has experienced lower than expected UK retail sales which, together with wholesale order cancellations from Korea, will adversely impact our profit this year,” said company CEO Bruno Guillon.
- Cotton supply chain transparency an ongoing issue
- Supply chain takeaways from Sourcing at MAGIC
- No simple way to be sustainable, says SAC CEO
- Why voters don’t want more global supply chains
- What's 3D-printing doing for apparel and footwear?
- Li & Fung eyes supply chain speed in 3-year plan
- Nike and Crystal Group "doing well by doing good"
- Zara USA faces US$5m deceptive pricing lawsuit
- What does supply chain mapping really mean?
- EU clothing imports from China continue to plunge
- Too Many Standards
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Under Armour, Inc. (UA) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras