UK: Mulberry issues profit warning as sales dip
Luxury fashion company Mulberry Group has issued a profit warning on tough UK trading at Christmas and order cancellations in South Korea.
The UK-based business said total retail sales were down 3% in the 17 weeks to 25 January, and down 7% for the last eight weeks of that period.
International sales continued to rise – up 40% and 34% for the respective periods – but UK sales were hit by the tough competitive environment and substantial discounting over Christmas.
Mulberry also warned that “significant” cancellations of wholesale orders from South Korea would lead to a likely 10% drop in wholesale revenues for the fiscal year to 31 March.
This would in turn offset rises in retail sales, leaving total sales for the year broadly flat.
Coupled with costs associated with the company’s store opening programme over the last two years, Mulberry was now likely to record full-year pre-tax profits “substantially lower” than market expectations, it said.
“Due to tough trading conditions over the Christmas period which saw significant discounting across the market, Mulberry has experienced lower than expected UK retail sales which, together with wholesale order cancellations from Korea, will adversely impact our profit this year,” said company CEO Bruno Guillon.
- Under Armour on track with new UAS sportswear line
- Myanmar garment exports surged 20% in 2015
- EU trade ministers push on TTIP and Canada pacts
- What does the future hold for world wool supply?
- Why synthetic fibres are a safe bet for the future
- US retailers urge action on Hanjin Shipping crisis
- Zara launches eco-friendly Join Life collection
- Adidas unveils first Speedfactory running shoe
- Bangladesh calls for US duty-free apparel access
- Brexit may hit suppliers with UK duty-free access
- Too Many Standards
- Apparel (GLOBAL) - Industry Report
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Ralph Lauren Corporation : Retailing - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras