INDONESIA: Natural fibre push likely to have limited benefit
The Indonesian government's decision to promote natural fibres in place of synthetics may have merit, but the country's garment and textile export industry may not gain from the move, experts argue.
Indonesia's Ministry of Industry recently announced plans to promote banana and pineapple fibres to minimise its textile industry's dependence on polyester and rayon. But industry experts have doubts.
"We don't think alternative natural fibre - such as banana and pineapple - will able to replace the usage of current ordinary fibre such as cotton, polyester nor rayon," Asep Setiaharja, vice secretary general of the Indonesian Textile Association (API), told just-style.
After all, every fibre has its own characteristic which cannot be replaced easily, he explained, adding "textile products of each fibre has its own buyer."
And Indonesia is a major producer of polyester and rayon fibres: the country's annual production capacity of polyester fibre is 600,000 tonnes and will reach 900,000 tonnes this year, while rayon fibre capacity is approaching 415,000 tonnes, he said.
That said, banana and pineapple fibres can still add value to the textile sector- especially handicraft textiles due to their current scarcity and special characteristics, which will however come at a premium price, Setiaharja added.
- Low labour cost countries linked to highest risks
- Why should brands care about China cotton?
- China cotton: implications and opportunities
- COMMENT: Skills or new technology?
- New fibre and fabric innovations for outdoor wear
- South Africa to grow grass for recyclable textiles
- 30% of Adidas cotton from sustainable sources
- US West Coast port contract reached
- Activewear driving US apparel spend
- Benetton to embark on living wage roadmap
- Myanmar's Garment Sector - Opportunities & Challenges in 2015
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields
- Global market review of swimwear - forecasts to 2019
- Management briefing: Outlook 2015: Apparel industry issues in the year ahead
- Apparel Retail: Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide