USA: NatureWorks Fibers Race Ahead In Sporting Applications
A fabric option that successfully bridges the gap between natural fibers and synthetics has been given the go-ahead for sporting applications. Independent laboratory testing by the globally respected Hohenstein Research Institute is said to have demonstrated that plaited NatureWorks/cotton fabric performs better than plaited polyester/cotton fabric. The results of the testing concluded that wearers of NatureWorks/cotton fabric will experience improved physiological comfort versus Polyester/cotton faced fabric.NatureWorks fiber is a new material made entirely from annually renewable resources, such as corn. Developed by Cargill Dow these fibers are claimed to feature the comfort and feel of natural fibers while performing as well or better than synthetics."Cargill Dow has developed a natural fabric alternative that competes with traditional fibers in feel, comfort, cost and performance," said Jim Lunt, director of fibers product development. "The testing reaffirms NatureWorks fiber is a valuable addition to the evolving fibers market, notably in active wear."While the NatureWorks fiber has applications in a variety of fiber and nonwoven products, the Hohenstein testing focused on sporting and active wear conditions. In sporting applications the fiber's inherent benefits are said to focus on increased breathability, water vapor absorbency, and overall comfort - all key selling points with consumers.Tests carried out by Hohenstein included measurements of water vapor resistance, short time water vapor absorbency, buffering capacity, thermal insulation, and sensorial wear comfort. The results of these tests were used to determine the total wear comfort using a predictive model. NatureWorks/cotton performed better than Polyester/cotton in four of the skin modeling tests, and in two out of the three sensorial tests. The remaining tests found the two fabrics to perform equally well. Additional details from the Hohenstien tests can be found on Cargill Dow's Web site at
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Where does VF supply chain sit in growth strategy?
- Investment continues in Ethiopia clothing sector
- Inditex, Adidas and Patagonia top ethical report
- Calls for supply chain transparency standard
- Amazon wins on-demand apparel manufacturing patent
- US textile industry applauds Trump executive order
- US Q1 in brief – Steve Madden, Skechers
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts