USA: Nautica Posts £2.6m Q1 Loss Amid Sales Slump
US apparel giant Nautica Enterprises Inc on Tuesday swung into a first quarter net loss of $2.6 million amid falling sales and a $2.1m charge related to the axing of a distribution centre in Maine.
The New York-based company, which made $3.2m in the year-ago period, said in a statement it was optimistic about its performance for the rest of the fiscal year.
It added sales fell to $125.9m from $135.2m in the year-ago quarter, while its gross margin rose 160 basis points from the prior-year period, boosted by inventory liquidation in the fourth quarter.
Nautica chief executive, Harvey Sanders, said: "We are especially pleased to have posted a substantial increase in gross margin, which was driven by improved inventory management and the sales contribution from some of our higher gross margin businesses, such as Earl Jean."
He continued: "While the near-term continues to be challenging, our business strategy remains on plan and we look to the second half of fiscal 2003 with optimism as our initiatives take hold.
"We have a healthy balance sheet, generate strong and consistent free cash flow as a result of the profitability in several of our businesses and continue to benefit from better inventory management. We believe we are positioning ourselves for improved results."
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
Ranked as one of Thailand's top three textile producers and the country's seventh largest garment maker with a 2003 sales turnover of US$46 million, the Nan Yang Textile Group is one of only a handful...
Apparel and denim maker Jordache Enterprises has acquired the upmarket Earl Jean brand from the VF group, the company said today (28 February)....
AVP Pro Beach Volleyball Tour has announced a multi-year sponsorship agreement making Nautica the Official Apparel sponsor of the AVP Tour....
Branded apparel group VF Corporation has reported second-quarter sales growth as it invests into its core brands to maintain their leadership positions....
Peter Arnold has been named president of men's goods business John Varvatos Enterprises Inc....
Global lifestyle brand Nautica has signed a deal with lifestyle sports entertainment company AVP Pro Beach Volleyball Tour Inc to be the official sponsor of volleyball touring series the AVP Nissan Se...
Branded apparel maker VF Corporation has announced a series of organisational changes aimed at streamlining its leadership structure and supporting the company's long-term growth plans....
Apparel manufacturer VF Corp has reported an 18 per cent leap in first-quarter income, encouraged by good business at its outdoor, imagewear and sportswear businesses following acquisitions....
- "Power of the many" drives change at Otto Group
- Hard hit Turkish industry is not knocked out
- China leads US apparel sources with falling prices
- US apparel sector braces for potential cost hikes
- Vietnam grows share of US apparel imports in 2016
- US Q4 in brief – Foot Locker, Nordstrom, Carter's
- Inditex and H&M boycott Dhaka Apparel Summit
- JC Penney to close 140 stores amid lower sales
- Macy's will "do the right thing", says Lundgren
- Bangladesh crackdown has cost garment sector $100m
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Technical textile markets: product developments and innovations, December 2016
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022