US: Neiman Marcus swings to Q2 loss
Upscale retailer Neiman Marcus has swung to a second quarter loss after it was hit by slumping sales and writing down the value of its assets by $560.1m.
Like other upmarket retailers, Neiman Marcus has been hit by shoppers trading down to cheaper priced stores.
In January the company, which operates the Neiman Marcus and Bergdorf Goodman nameplates, laid off 375 people as it tries to counter the economic slowdown by cutting costs across its business.
At the time it warned more job losses may follow in future months.
For the three months to 31 January, its net loss was $509.2m compared with a profit of $44.3m in the prior year.
Adjusted operating loss was $32.6m, which is down from operating earnings of $134.3m a year earlier.
Second quarter revenues dropped 21% to $1.08bn from $1.37bn last time. Comparable revenues fell 22.8%.
The Dallas-based company said today (11 March) it incurred charges in the quarter for writing down the value of its assets and trade names, as well as a $32.5m pension curtailment gain.
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
There was little sign of any uptick in retail spending in July, as retailers released yet another disappointing month of same-store sales results....
The following is a general roundup of US apparel and shoe chains' August 2009 sales results. The list will be updated as new results become available....
The Neiman Marcus Group has announced that Wanda Gierhart has been appointed senior vice president and chief marketing officer, effective 10 August....
Upscale department store retailer Neiman Marcus Inc is cutting the opening hours in around half of its stores after swinging to a third quarter loss on plunging sales....
- What TTIP might mean for US, EU textiles & apparel
- Unlocks for the future fashion sourcing landscape
- EU eyes mandatory due diligence for apparel supply
- Geo-political uncertainty and how to survive it
- Four steps to reduce product defects
- US Q4 in brief – Finish Line, Oxford Industries
- Li & Fung forms supply chain partnership with PVH
- Sears has "substantial doubt" of future
- Vietnam limits hazardous chemicals in apparel
- Walmart snaps up online fashion firm ModCloth
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective