US: New artificial leather uses biobased technology
Flokser Group division Poliser is using DuPont Tate & Lyle Bio Products’ Susterra 1,3-propanediol (PDO) as a biobased building block for its new artificial leather fabric.
The new artificial leather is being developed using a polyester polyol based on PDO succinate, with the crossliner being Susterra, DuPont Tate & Lyle said.
The company added that production of biobased propanediol was claimed to use up to 40% less greenhouse gas emissions and 40% less non-renewable energy in its production, versus petroleum-based glycols.
“The new artificial leather from Flokser is a unique product, combining biobased technology with the highest standards of performance and quality,” said Steve Hurff, marketing and sales vice-president at DuPont Tate & Lyle Bio Products.
Sustainable Textiles for Apparel: Fact, Fiction and Future Prospects
"If indigo was invented today, we would never approve it.” Andrew Olah, founder of the Kingpins denim show, and of Olah Inc., a textile marketing, development, and sales agency in the US. Comments...read more
This report provides information on the latest developments in composites, environmentally friendly polymers, fabrics for protective apparel, fibres for technical textiles, new materials and smart clo...
Science-based products giant DuPont is consolidating its corporate headquarters following a review of separation of assets and real estate, which saw the spin off of its performance chemicals business...
Technical textiles are textile products (fibers and materials) that are manufactured and used for their functionality rather than their aesthetic value. The Technical Textiles industry serves end-user...
- Why should brands care about China cotton?
- New Gap CEO set to tackle “aesthetic issue”
- Low labour cost countries linked to highest risks
- Falling euro adds to Bangladesh production woes
- China cotton: implications and opportunities
- M&S Asia head quits as China stores to close
- Gap names new design head amid mixed Q4
- Pay rise mulled for Sri Lanka garment workers
- US labour concerns at Honduras apparel makers
- JC Penney share price falls on Q4 loss
- Myanmar's Garment Sector - Opportunities & Challenges in 2015
- Apparel Retail: Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields
- Management briefing: Outlook 2015: Apparel industry issues in the year ahead
- Global market review of swimwear - forecasts to 2019