UK: New Balance files copyright lawsuit against Karl Lagerfeld
New Balance is accusing Karl Lagerfeld of copyright infringement
Sports apparel and footwear firm New Balance has filed a lawsuit against Karl Lagerfeld over copyright infringement of its logo on the designer's new sneaker line.
New Balance is accusing Lagerfeld, the longtime creative director of Chanel, of copying its footwear logo with a 'K' motif, similar to that of its 'N' motif.
New Balance, which says it has been using its 'N' logo since the seventies, claims the similarity between the two shoes' designs "creates confusion".
A spokesperson for New Balance said: "On June 3, 2014, New Balance filed a lawsuit against Karl Lagerfeld to protect our intellectual property rights related to our iconic Lifestyle footwear designs. Although we cannot comment on the specifics of the case, we believe it is vital to actively and vigorously defend our brand."
Karl Lagerfeld did not return a request for comment.
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
Sourcing trends, customs policies, logistics challenges, and global expansion will be among the topics discussed at the American Apparel & Footwear Association (AAFA) conference in Washington DC next ...
Apparel and footwear group Deckers Brands has appointed Wendy Yang as president of its Teva brand as it looks to evolve its outdoor positioning and further penetrate the global footwear market....
Production has resumed at a footwear factory in Vietnam, which supplies sporting goods majors Adidas, Puma and Asics, after workers took part in a six-day strike over new social insurance legislation....
- Unlocks for the future fashion sourcing landscape
- EU eyes mandatory due diligence for apparel supply
- Digitalisation and data to disrupt supply chains
- What TTIP might mean for US, EU textiles & apparel
- Where next for Corporate Human Rights Benchmark?
- Li & Fung forms supply chain partnership with PVH
- US Q4 in brief – Finish Line, Oxford Industries
- Sears has "substantial doubt" of future
- Adidas mulls roll-out of in-store customisation
- Brands urged to empower women in sub-Sahara Africa
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective