MALAYSIA: New Industry Body Gives Batik A Boost
Fashion designers and craftworkers are getting together under the aegis of a new business association to give batik, the traditional Malaysian art-form, a change of image.Yayasan Budi Penyayang Malaysia (Penyayang) will be launched on November 17 with the task of developing batik from a small, local industry into a global business. The drive will kick off with a batik fashion show at the Sunway Lagoon Resort Hotel, Bandar Sunway and will be attended by Deputy Prime Minister Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi. The Deputy PM's wife, Datin Seri Endon Mahmood, is the event's chairperson.The show, called Batik Krisalis, is the work of Yusoff Fadhil Idris, a Kota Baru-born batik craftsman of 10 years' experience. A second-generation craftsman, his batik works are strong in butterfly motifs - hence the name Krisalis. Yusoff's batik works have been promoted at international art shows since the early 1990s.Malaysian fashion designer, Eric Choong, will help Idris translate his batik art into fashion statements. Choong, a graduate in fashion design from Hong Kong, also studied fabric design in Australia. He has been in the fashion business since the late 1980s.Penyayang chief executive officer Leela Mohd Ali said she was determined to make local batik a global success. She said Penyayang aimed to identify Malaysian talents in different types of traditional handicrafts, which had the potential but not the marketing and promotional network to succeed internationally."Our assistance need not be monetary as we will mobilise support in terms of management, marketing and promotions," she said.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- China leads US apparel sources with falling prices
- Vietnam grows share of US apparel imports in 2016
- US apparel sector braces for potential cost hikes
- Trade Tracker – Trump's first weeks, Brexit agenda
- Key trade issues facing US textiles and apparel
- Bangladesh "high threat" for terrorist activity
- VF Corp sees Q4 and FY earnings tumble
- Sales at US clothing retailers jumped in January
- Ralph Lauren new execs to support Way Forward Plan
- Adidas and Burberry recognised for sustainability
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Technical textile markets: product developments and innovations, December 2016
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022