MALAYSIA: New Industry Body Gives Batik A Boost
Fashion designers and craftworkers are getting together under the aegis of a new business association to give batik, the traditional Malaysian art-form, a change of image.Yayasan Budi Penyayang Malaysia (Penyayang) will be launched on November 17 with the task of developing batik from a small, local industry into a global business. The drive will kick off with a batik fashion show at the Sunway Lagoon Resort Hotel, Bandar Sunway and will be attended by Deputy Prime Minister Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi. The Deputy PM's wife, Datin Seri Endon Mahmood, is the event's chairperson.The show, called Batik Krisalis, is the work of Yusoff Fadhil Idris, a Kota Baru-born batik craftsman of 10 years' experience. A second-generation craftsman, his batik works are strong in butterfly motifs - hence the name Krisalis. Yusoff's batik works have been promoted at international art shows since the early 1990s.Malaysian fashion designer, Eric Choong, will help Idris translate his batik art into fashion statements. Choong, a graduate in fashion design from Hong Kong, also studied fabric design in Australia. He has been in the fashion business since the late 1980s.Penyayang chief executive officer Leela Mohd Ali said she was determined to make local batik a global success. She said Penyayang aimed to identify Malaysian talents in different types of traditional handicrafts, which had the potential but not the marketing and promotional network to succeed internationally."Our assistance need not be monetary as we will mobilise support in terms of management, marketing and promotions," she said.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
- Why do modern robotics elude sportswear makers?
- Traditional financing is a misfit for fast fashion
- Trump trade policy – Who knows what he'll do?
- Planning is key to an effective inventory strategy
- How would end of NAFTA affect US apparel industry?
- US Q3 in brief - G-III Apparel, Express
- Bagir exports first trousers for H&M from Ethiopia
- Film documents Cambodia garment workers' stories
- Esquel efficiency drive continues to boost brands
- Pakistan suspends India cotton imports
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Footwear Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide_2016
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack