UK: New Look bans use of angora in products
UK value fashion retailer New Look has joined a raft of apparel companies in banning the use of angora wool in all of its products.
New Look said it has ceased future production of all products containing angora and will have no angora product in stores from April.
"Animal welfare is very important to us and we are working closely with PETA and our suppliers on this issue," the company said this week.
New Look said it put production of angora products on hold on the 29 November last year and has now completed its investigation of the angora supply chain.
"Whilst we have found no evidence of the procedures discovered by PETA we have been unable to guarantee that our requirements on angora production are being met across the whole supply chain," it added.
Retailers have come up against mounting pressure to completely ban the use of angora in their products after an investigation by animal rights group PETA exposed "shocking" conditions in the industry.
Video footage taken by PETA in China - the source of 90% of the world's angora fur - showed rabbits having their fur ripped out or being injured while the fur is cut or sheared.
PVH Corp, Asos, Ted Baker, M&S and H&M are among the retailers that have banned angora in their products, while Primark has opted to halt production of angora products while investigations are underway.
PETA applauded New Look's decision to "do the right thing for animals and consumers" by banning the use of angora.
"Shoppers are horrified to discover that an 'angora' label means that live rabbits had the fur ripped from their bodies, and they're relieved when their favourite shops refuse to support this abuse," said PETA's Yvonne Taylor.
Product lifecycle management (PLM) systems provide increasingly sophisticated tools for getting the right products to market at the right time - with current trends including more integration with ERP...
This report analyzes the worldwide markets for Women's and Girls' Clothing in US$ Million by the following Product Segments: Women's and Girls' Dresses, Women's and Girls' Suits & Coats, Women's and G...
The last few years have seen tremendous changes in the technological landscape of 'product lifecycle management' (PLM) and 'enterprise resource planning' (ERP) systems....
H & M Hennes & Mauritz AB - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and servic...
As more Chinese fashion companies are shifting their focus from export markets to domestic consumers, many are investing in powerful, sophisticated management software to meet the fast changing appare...
Milliken & Company - SWOT, Strategy and Corporate Finance Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, produc...
More than 170 companies have now signed the Accord on Fire and Building Safety in Bangladesh following the collapse of the Rana Plaza factory building in Dhaka, which killed more than 1,100 people las...
Levi Strauss & Co. - SWOT, Strategy and Corporate Finance Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, produc...
- Li & Fung looks to new frontiers for growth
- SOURCING: Worldwide change in cost competitiveness
- More licensing and less M&A for Global Brands
- Better Work programme poised to expand
- Fitness fashion propels Athleta towards $1bn sales
- Cambodia mass faintings rise to 896 in first-half
- Ralph Lauren unveils high-performance Polo shirt
- Cambodia garment makers condemn strike protests
- Russia threatens ban on western apparel imports
- China minimum wage rises will be tough to handle
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Prospects for the Textile and Clothing Industry in Turkey
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Knitting Mills - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- China - ISA Country Report