UK: New Look books Christmas sales increase
New Look said it performed well following a “difficult” start to the quarter
UK value fashion retailer New Look has said it performed well over the Christmas period, despite extensive discounting on the high street.
In the seven weeks to 28 December, total sales increased 2.6%, with UK like-for-like sales up 1.5%.
Gross margin in the period was also higher due to a stronger full price sales mix, the retailer said.
In the UK, sales grew 2.9%, while e-commerce sales were up 62%.
CEO Anders Kristiansen said the company performed well following a "difficult" start to the quarter, due to an unseasonably warm October.
Nonetheless, he added: "The festive trading window was smaller this year, with customers delaying purchases in order to seek out the best promotions before Christmas.
"In spite of the backdrop of extensive Christmas discounting across the high street, our stronger full price sales performance ensured that we were able to protect our margin - a central component of our strategy - and we also saw our market share grow."
Kristiansen said New Look is "optimistic" about the year ahead but remain watchful of the pace of recovery in the UK economy and the continued pressures facing its customers.
Canadean's "NFI Empik Media & Fashion S.A. - Company Capsule" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The profile contains a company overview, key facts, major pro...
Our new Amazon Annual Best seller reports are available on a consultancy basis and deeply mine our own Amazon Trackers research and employ some unique in house modeling techniques. Harnessing insights...
More than 220 companies have now signed the Accord on Fire and Building Safety in Bangladesh following the collapse of the Rana Plaza factory building in Dhaka, which killed more than 1,100 people in ...
Jigsaw product director Barbara Horspool has left the UK fashion retailer after two years in the role to join clothing and homeware retailer The White Company....
- Why Inditex is "clear winner" in fast fashion
- Why fast fashion isn't a case of one size fits all
- Brexit blow to global apparel industry confidence
- Sir Philip Green blamed for the collapse of BHS
- TPP tariff phase-out guides Vietnam sourcing plans
- Vietnam mulls wage freeze to boost competitiveness
- VF Corp cuts guidance as Q2 profit plunges 70%
- US Q2 in brief - Carter's, Wolverine Worldwide
- Teijin launches polyester hook-and-loop fastener
- Ethiopia opens flagship textile and apparel park
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- World Textile and Apparel Trade and Production Trends: the EU - June 2016
- Primark Stores Limited: Retailing - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis
- Global market review of lingerie - forecasts to 2020