UK: New Look books Christmas sales increase
New Look said it performed well following a “difficult” start to the quarter
UK value fashion retailer New Look has said it performed well over the Christmas period, despite extensive discounting on the high street.
In the seven weeks to 28 December, total sales increased 2.6%, with UK like-for-like sales up 1.5%.
Gross margin in the period was also higher due to a stronger full price sales mix, the retailer said.
In the UK, sales grew 2.9%, while e-commerce sales were up 62%.
CEO Anders Kristiansen said the company performed well following a "difficult" start to the quarter, due to an unseasonably warm October.
Nonetheless, he added: "The festive trading window was smaller this year, with customers delaying purchases in order to seek out the best promotions before Christmas.
"In spite of the backdrop of extensive Christmas discounting across the high street, our stronger full price sales performance ensured that we were able to protect our margin - a central component of our strategy - and we also saw our market share grow."
Kristiansen said New Look is "optimistic" about the year ahead but remain watchful of the pace of recovery in the UK economy and the continued pressures facing its customers.
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
More than 220 companies have now signed the Accord on Fire and Building Safety in Bangladesh following the collapse of the Rana Plaza factory building in Dhaka, which killed more than 1,100 people in ...
Jigsaw product director Barbara Horspool has left the UK fashion retailer after two years in the role to join clothing and homeware retailer The White Company....
UK value fashion retailer New Look has completed the sale of its struggling French retail chain Mim to Main Asia (HK) Ltd, an independent company advised by sourcing giant Asia Global....
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Why collaboration is key to fashion supply chains
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Adidas to digitalise Speedfactory concept
- Nike filed patent for "reinforced denim"
- M&S extends sourcing deal with Lindsey brothers
- Gap unveils five-year sustainable fibres pledge
- Adidas and Reebok top transparency index
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective