UK: New Look books Christmas sales increase
New Look said it performed well following a “difficult” start to the quarter
UK value fashion retailer New Look has said it performed well over the Christmas period, despite extensive discounting on the high street.
In the seven weeks to 28 December, total sales increased 2.6%, with UK like-for-like sales up 1.5%.
Gross margin in the period was also higher due to a stronger full price sales mix, the retailer said.
In the UK, sales grew 2.9%, while e-commerce sales were up 62%.
CEO Anders Kristiansen said the company performed well following a "difficult" start to the quarter, due to an unseasonably warm October.
Nonetheless, he added: "The festive trading window was smaller this year, with customers delaying purchases in order to seek out the best promotions before Christmas.
"In spite of the backdrop of extensive Christmas discounting across the high street, our stronger full price sales performance ensured that we were able to protect our margin - a central component of our strategy - and we also saw our market share grow."
Kristiansen said New Look is "optimistic" about the year ahead but remain watchful of the pace of recovery in the UK economy and the continued pressures facing its customers.
Canadean's "NFI Empik Media & Fashion S.A. - Company Capsule" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The profile contains a company overview, key facts, major pro...
More than 220 companies have now signed the Accord on Fire and Building Safety in Bangladesh following the collapse of the Rana Plaza factory building in Dhaka, which killed more than 1,100 people in ...
Jigsaw product director Barbara Horspool has left the UK fashion retailer after two years in the role to join clothing and homeware retailer The White Company....
- Cotton supply chain transparency an ongoing issue
- What does supply chain mapping really mean?
- Supply chain takeaways from Sourcing at MAGIC
- No simple way to be sustainable, says SAC CEO
- Overcapacity in China could reshape fibre markets
- Nike and Crystal Group "doing well by doing good"
- Li & Fung eyes supply chain speed in 3-year plan
- Cambodia’s focus on garment production also a risk
- C&A helps grow organic cotton production in China
- US Q2 in brief - G-III Apparel, A&F, Sears
- Too Many Standards
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Under Armour, Inc. (UA) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras