UK: New Look books Christmas sales increase
New Look said it performed well following a “difficult” start to the quarter
UK value fashion retailer New Look has said it performed well over the Christmas period, despite extensive discounting on the high street.
In the seven weeks to 28 December, total sales increased 2.6%, with UK like-for-like sales up 1.5%.
Gross margin in the period was also higher due to a stronger full price sales mix, the retailer said.
In the UK, sales grew 2.9%, while e-commerce sales were up 62%.
CEO Anders Kristiansen said the company performed well following a "difficult" start to the quarter, due to an unseasonably warm October.
Nonetheless, he added: "The festive trading window was smaller this year, with customers delaying purchases in order to seek out the best promotions before Christmas.
"In spite of the backdrop of extensive Christmas discounting across the high street, our stronger full price sales performance ensured that we were able to protect our margin - a central component of our strategy - and we also saw our market share grow."
Kristiansen said New Look is "optimistic" about the year ahead but remain watchful of the pace of recovery in the UK economy and the continued pressures facing its customers.
More than 160 companies have now signed the Accord on Fire and Building Safety in Bangladesh following the collapse of the Rana Plaza factory building in Dhaka, which killed more than 1,100 people las...
Canadean's "New Look Retail Group Limited : Retailing - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Report" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The profile contains a co...
New look is considered as one of the UK’s top value retailers for the under 35 year-olds, offering fast fashion-led collections at very affordable prices. New Look had over 600 stores in the UK as of ...
As the mind-set of the recession continues, women’s outerwear is responding by heavily promoting good value, with brands such as Primark, F&F, George, New Look, H&M and Sainsbury’s women’s Tu range, a...
Value fashion retailer New Look has confirmed the promotion of Danny Barrasso to the newly-created role of UK managing director....
Footwear continued to grow in 2012, up 3% in current value and 2% in volume terms in 2012. The Olympic rush and sporting upsurge partially drove footwear value sales in the UK and inflation on leather...
- MYANMAR SNAPSHOT: Textile and apparel industry
- Indian apparel exporters discuss policy changes
- Clothing seen as central focus for new Tesco CEO
- VF Corp bullish for second-half growth
- INTERVIEW: David Nieper pushes Made in UK momentum
- Crystal Group improves worker communication
- TIMELINE: Charney ousting from American Apparel
- VF Corp books "solid" Q2 performance
- Weatherproof jackets release harmful chemicals"
- UN rights expert urges further Cambodia reforms
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Management briefing: Sourcing shifts: Changes and challenges
- American Eagle Outfitters, Inc. : Reacting to a need for change
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Plunkett's Apparel & Textiles Industry Almanac 2014: Apparel & Textiles Industry Market Research, Statistics, Trends & Leading Companies