JAPAN: New Toray swimwear fabric repels sand
Leading Japanese textile maker Toray has come up with a swimsuit made from sand-repellent material.
Made from a special polymer-lined fabric that prevents sand from cementing to clothing by repelling water, Toray will be adding the unique swimwear to its collection for spring 2007.
The company claims it has already generated huge consumer interest in the new material dubbed "Sandproof," which Toray developed using its state-of-the-art nano scale processing technology (Nano Matrix).
Toray hopes to sell 100,000 metres of the new cloth in its first year and by doing so to re-energise the sluggish domestic swimwear market which as been in decline owing to a fashion for avoiding the sun.
"Sandproof" now joins innovative new swimwear textiles developed by Toray such as its quick-drying swimsuits, swimwear developed for Olympic swimmers that acts like sharkskin, and swimwear that moisturises its wearer.
By Michael Fitzpatrick.
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
Japan’s consumers are giving a big thumbs-up to new clothing that gives the wearer a workout without the need for normal exercise. The garments promise to firm up muscles and change the shape of a per...
Toray, the Japanese pioneer in nanotechnology fabric, has revealed a new material created through its 'Nano-Plem' technology that boasts water-repellent characteristics and colour resilience....
Japanese textile maker Toray claims to have developed the world's first environmentally friendly method of creating a new cellulose-based fibre which it has dubbed 'Foresse'....
US outdoor goods firm Patagonia is to team up with Japanese textile firm Toray Industries for a line of recycled nylon apparel....
Leading Japanese textile maker Toray has unveiled a new 'green' fibre which has the versatility of nylon and rayon, the moisture retention properties of cotton yet derives its raw material from plants...
The Japanese government may extend anti-dumping duties governing imports of polyester staple fibres (PSF) from South Korea and Taiwan in response to concerns raised by Japanese fibre producers....
Japanese clothing retailer Uniqlo Co and textile manufacturer Toray Industries Inc have formed a fabric procurement partnership that has the potential to boost business between the two companies by a ...
High-performance bathing suits are being developed by a number of Japanese companies eager to breathe new life into swimwear sales....
- Outlook 2017 – What else is the industry watching?
- Outlook 2017 – What next for apparel sourcing?
- Outlook 2017 – Strategies for sourcing success
- Outlook 2017 – Challenges and opportunities
- Is China about to burst its apparel trade bubble?
- 22 dos and dont's – When sourcing goes wrong
- M&S quality focus finally lifts clothing sales
- MAS Holdings planning second industrial park
- Sri Lanka on track to regain EU GSP+ benefits
- Update - Bangladesh "business as usual"
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Anti-odour clothing: fresh fashion for an active lifestyle
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar